Sometimes you may need a homeopathic breast pain remedy when you are experiencing a pain in the breast out of the blue or in conjunction with a breast remedy for an injury, tumor, or nipple pain.
Case scenario #1: A client recently reached out to me about her breast hurting after playing a soccer game. She went on to tell me she hadn’t played soccer since high school. My client said she and another girl were going after the ball when she got elbowed in the breast. She took a few doses of the homeopathic remedy Arnica Montana 200c, but it barely touched the breast pain. I had her take the homeopathic remedy Bellis Perennis 30c twice daily. 3 days later she reported back that she was amazed at how quickly Bellis Perennis helped the breast pain, which is now 90% better. I explained to her that Arnica Montana is the first homeopathic remedy to think of when you have an injury that is sore and bruised more on the surface of the breast. However, Bellis Perennis is used when the injured area has softer muscular tissue like the breast. I told my client to continue taking Bellis Perennis until her breast no longer hurt.
Case Scenario #2: My client consulted with me about having a needle-like pain in her left breast. She stated that she has had breast pain the last couple of months, occurring before her period. My client said she doesn’t notice the needle-like pain unless she touches her breast. I selected the homeopathic remedy Nitric Acid 30c to be taken once a day with 10 succussions at bedtime. A couple of days later, my client called me, stating how after 1 dose of Nitric Acid, her breast pain diminished by 75%, and she hardly felt the needle-like pain unless she pressed into the breast. I had her continue taking Nitric Acid every night at bedtime until she no longer had breast pain.
Every female has had breast symptoms at one time or another. Breast symptoms can come from a hormonal imbalance (especially estrogen dominance), injury, or poor-fitting bras (i.e., underwires). Whether it’s occasional breast symptoms (i.e., pain or swelling) for a few days each month before your menstrual period (i.e., PMS) or pain that lasts for weeks, it is not a normal part of being a female. Your breasts are telling you something is going on in your body that needs to be addressed.
Types of Breast Pain
- Cyclical breast pain is the most common type of breast pain that happens from time to time in both breasts around the time of your menstrual period. This common breast pain occurs around ovulation or the week of your period and usually goes away when the bleeding starts.
- Non-cyclical breast pain may be persistent throughout the month and is usually localized to one area of the breast. This type of breast pain is from hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, large breasts, hormone replacement therapy, medications (including antidepressants), mastitis or cysts, and is rarely caused by breast cancer.
- Women with fibrocystic breasts (naturally lumpier and bumpier due to more fibrous tissue) may experience more breast tenderness.
Women worry that any breast lump or pain we feel in the breast is cancer until proven otherwise. Generally, cyclic breast pain is never due to breast cancer, and it is the type of breast pain most of us experience. Localized non-cyclic breast pain is also rarely due to cancer. Some breast pain can be due to cancer, though it is rare. Breast pain symptoms that could mean breast cancer are associated with a rapidly progressing tender, firm, enlarged breast. The skin over your breast may be warm, feel thick, and have a dimply orange peel appearance. If you suddenly have new breast symptoms or pain in one local area, get a medical examination to rule out cancer, unless you are breastfeeding and you have mastitis. When you have mastitis, you usually have flu-like symptoms and can have a fever.
Homeopathic Remedies for Breast Pain
Select a 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy according to your breast pain and what makes the pain feel better or worse. Administer the homeopathic remedy several times a day when the breast pain becomes more intense.
Belladonna – For a throbbing pain in the breast that feels better with a cold application on the area.
Bryonia Alba – Breast pain is worse from the slightest movement.
Hepar Sulphuris – For breast pain that is worse with the slightest touch of the breast. The breast pain feels better with a warm compress.
Lac Caninum – The breast is swollen and very painful before and after your menstrual period from the slightest movement. Lac Caninum’s key characteristic forselection is when the breast pain moves from 1 breast to the other breast and then back to the original breast pain (i.e., from the left breast to the right breast and back to the left breast).
Nitric Acid – A stabbing or piercing needle-like pain in the breast.
Phosphorous – Burning pain in the breast, especially in your left breast.
Did you know that getting hit in the breast can later cause breast symptoms, even possibly cancer? Breast injuries can commonly come from seatbelt injury, from playing sports such as soccer (chest balls) or any other contact sport, also from scrapes, falls, blows to the breast, and bras not fitting properly especially underwire bras. You may be experiencing some bruising or have a slight pain due to more intense pain in the breast. It is always good to address breast injuries with a homeopathic remedy; you never know what can develop later on from an impact to the breast. You will select the homeopathic remedy according to your symptoms, along with what makes your breast symptoms better or worse (i.e., with touch or movement). Depending on when the breast symptoms become more intense, you will take the selected homeopathic remedy 1-4 times a day.
Homeopathic Breast Injury Remedies
Arnica Montana 200c – This is the first homeopathic remedy to think of for all injuries, including a breast injury. Arnica has sore, bruised, aching breasts, which may also be swollen. When Arnica does not address your breast symptoms after2 or 3 doses, select another homeopathic remedy that fits the breast symptoms you still have.
Apis Mellifica 200c – Used for breast swelling that is not helped with Arnica Montana or any other breast remedy. The breast is swollen, puffy, has pink discoloration, and may have stinging pains. The breast swelling feels better from cold compresses. The breast has fluid in the traumatized area, similar to having water on the knee.
Bellis Perennis 30c – Is selected for injury of deep tissues, such as the breast. The breast has intense soreness and swelling from the injury that feels better with cold applications and pressure. Bellis Perennis is also used for a tumor or breast cancer arising from a breast injury.
Conium Maculatum 30c – You will select Conium for hard tumors, especially after a breast injury with stitching or piercing pain. The breast symptoms are worse when walking or taking a deep breath. The breast feels better with hard pressure to the breast.
Hypericum 30c– Shooting pains in the breast from within outwards to breast and sternum from a breast injury. The breast symptoms are worse from motion.
Case Scenario: A client consults with me about a very soft lump in her right breast. Her doctor told her she had a cyst, and it will go away after her next period. My client knows that having a cyst in her breast means something is happening in her body. After asking her a few questions, I recommended the homeopathic remedy Silicea 200c to be taken daily at bedtime. I also suggested that she have a lymphatic massage session to help move the lymph in her body and start doing breast massage daily.
My client reported back a few days later, stating that the cyst is completely gone with the Silicea, and a lymphatic massage done. Cysts are usually a noncancerous (benign) lump that comes and goes with your menstrual cycle. It’s not unusual to get a cyst (fluid-filled sac) in the breast around your menstrual cycle. You don’t know you have one most of the time unless you feel a grape or water-filled balloon- like lump in the breast. You can have one or multiple breast cysts, and sometimes the lump can feel firm. Cysts are soft, moveable, and can be tender or painful. Have it checked out if you have a lump that suddenly increases in size, does not change during your menstrual cycle, and has become more painful, or if the skin looks different.
Homeopathic Remedies for Breast Cysts
A 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy will be taken once a day (at bedtime) until the cyst has disappeared.
Lachesis – Cyst found in the left breast. The following month you have a cyst in the right breast.
Lycopodium – Cyst found in the right breast, and the following month you have a cyst in the left breast.
Silicea – The cyst in either breast is soft with a bit of firmness. Silicea is also a lymphatic remedy, which helps to move lymphatic fluid from the area. If Lachesis or Lycopodium does not start shrinking the cyst within a couple of days then select Silicea.
Breast Lumps and Tumors
Case Scenario: A lump found in the breast (also called a tumor) often can be a little startling to find for us women. We continue feeling around the breast to make sure what we felt was indeed a lump. When the lump in the breast is very hard, like a stone, one of the homeopathic remedies to consider is Phytolacca. With Phytolacca, having a hard breast lump, you can have the axillary gland involvement (swollen lymph nodes in the armpit), especially when it’s your right axillary glands. Phytolacca 30c taken daily will help soften and shrink the hard lump and the axillary glands.
Your breast tissue may normally feel lumpy or ropy, along with tenderness that may come and go when you have your menstrual period. A breast lump is a localized swelling, bulge, or bump in the breast that feels different from the breast tissue around it. Breast lumps can develop in males and females, but they are much more common in females. There are different reasons why a breast lump develops. Most lumps are not cancerous and do not produce any risk.
Breast Lump Symptoms
When you have an underlying breast condition, you may notice the following changes in your breasts, such as:
- A round, smooth, and firm breast lump
- A large, solid-feeling lump that moves easily under your skin
- A hard, irregular-shaped breast lump
- Skin redness or dimpling like an orange
- Changes in breast size or shape
- Fluid leaking from your nipple
Seeing any of these characteristics, you want to have yourself examined by a medical professional to rule out anything that may be more serious, such as cancer.
Possible Breast Lumps Causes:
- Breast cysts – From a milk duct filled with fluid. The cyst may appear before your menstrual period and become smaller or disappear afterward.
- Fibrocystic breast changes – Your breasts are full in the areas of lumpiness or ridgelike areas and may feel tender. Fibrocystic breast changes occur before your menstrual cycles and improve after the menstrual cycle.
- Fibroadenomas – Are solid, noncancerous breast tumors that are smooth and move easily under your skin when touched. A fibroadenoma can grow larger when pregnant, using hormone therapy, or during menstrual periods.
- Breast Injuries and infections – A severe injury to your breast tissue or nearby nerves can create a breast lump (fat necrosis), creating a collection of infected fluid (abscess) in breast tissue, causing a breast lump. You may have breast pain and inflammation of the skin.
- Breast cancer – Most times presents as a painless breast lump that is hard, irregular shaped, and the breast tissue is different from the surrounding breast tissue. The skin over the lump may be red, dimpled, or pitted like the skin of an orange. Your breast size and shape may change, or you may notice a discharge from the nipple.
Homeopathic Remedies for Breast Lumps (Tumors)
You want to select a homeopathic remedy according to your breast lump symptoms that match a homeopathic remedy with the same characteristics. You will take the selected 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy once a day (bedtime).
Asteria Rubens – The left breast feels pulled inward with pain that extends over the inner arm to the end of the little finger. A tumor (when cancerous) is hard, burning, and has sharp pain.
Bellis Perennis – Breast tumor after an injury or has developed into breast cancer from a breast injury. The breast is sore and swelling from the injury and feels better with cold application.
Conium – Is selected forhard tumors, especially after a breast injury with a piercing or stitching pain. The breast pain is worse walking or taking deep breaths and feels better when applying hard pressure to the breast. Your breast may become enlarged and painful before and during your menstrual period, which is worse with every step.
Cundurango – Is for tumors on either side of the breast, the size of a pigeon to a hen’s egg around the nipple.
Lycopodium – Has a hard burning knotty swelling (known as nodosities) in breasts with stitching and aching pains. The lump first starts in the right breast, and at a later time, a lump is found in your left breast. The breast tumor feels better with a warm application.
Phytolacca – The breast has a very hard, painful tumor with a purple hue with swollen axillary glands, especially the right breast, after a breast injury. A male breast tumor behind the right nipple (hazelnut size) does not have to be from an injury.
Homeopathic Remedies for Nipple Symptoms
Aster Rubens – The breast area can be hard with nipples retracted.
Hydrastis – Breast nipple retracted, especially left breast.
Petroleum – Nipples are cracked and may bleed.
Phytolacca – The nipples are cracked, sensitive, and inverted.
Sarsaparilla – Nipples are retracted, cracked, small, and shriveled.
Silicea – Nipples are very sore and tend to ulcerate (like blisters). The nipple retracted like a funnel.
Homeopathic Remedies for Trauma to Breast from Biopsy
I recommend taking the following homeopathic remedies after having a biopsy done to heal from the trauma of having the procedure.
Arnica Montana 200c – Is for the trauma to the breast from the biopsy.
Ledum 30c – Is selected for the puncture to the breast from the biopsy.
Hypericum 30c – Is selected for the nerve endings being traumatized from the biopsy.
How to Administer These 3 Homeopathic Remedies
Place 1-3 pellets of all 3 homeopathic remedies (one at a time) on the tongue. Repeat 2 more doses of all 3 homeopathic remedies 15-60 minutes apart taking a total of 3 doses.
Other Therapies to Help with the Healing of Your Breast
Breast Massage – Massaging your breasts daily is a great way to help keep the lymphatic system and keep the hormones flowing properly. Move hands around each breast 36 times in a circular direction (clockwise) and reverse circling the breasts again 36 times (counterclockwise).
Castor Oil Packs – Castor oil compresses can help with the pain and inflammation from a breast injury, infection, and any other breast symptoms you may be experiencing. Rub castor oil on the breast and apply heat compresses for 15 or more minutes each day.
Addressing Your Breast Symptoms with Homeopathy
Most breast symptoms can be addressed acutely with a 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy. When you have a chronic lump (tumor) that keeps reoccurring even with a homeopathic remedy taken acutely, you will need to address your breast symptoms with a chronic breast condition with a 6c homeopathic remedy. Your chronic homeopathic remedy will be selected after having a complete health history taken to get a full picture of your health now and what it was before developing the breast symptoms (lump, pain, or swelling).
Monitoring Your Breast Health
To help monitor the health of your breasts, I recommend doing the following:
- Massage your breast daily (shower or bedtime)
- Do monthly breast self-exams
- Make sure your bra properly fits, have a professional bra fitting. You will look and feel better, especially if you are large busted. It will help reduce back and neck pain and headaches, and the health of your breasts are well worth it. Best not to wear underwire bras daily.
- Eat organic, especially your meats, dairy, especially the “dirty dozen.”
- Replace strong estrogens with weaker ones by eating phytoestrogen-rich plants (i.e., ground flaxseed, sesame seeds, dried beans, lentils, and legumes) daily.
- Drink and eat out of glass and other non-plastic packaging
- Never microwave food in plastic containers if you must use a microwave (avoid microwaving foods when possible!)
- Avoid pesticide and herbicide exposures (i.e., lawn and garden treatments)
- Avoid estrogen-based birth control when possible
- Do not place your cell phone in your bra. It has been proven cell phones (emit EMFs) can cause tumors in the breast where the cell phone lays in the bra.
- Schedule a thermography appointment for your breast or have a complete body scan. Thermography (infrared or digital infrared thermal imaging) measures your body temperature and blood flow. The thermography scan looks for dysfunction and other precursors to disease by screening for patterns and variations in your body temperature and blood flow. A thermography scan looks at different body parts and flow systems (i.e., lymphatic, digestive, hormonal, nervous, energy), looking for blockages, stagnation, and imbalances, which can point to the beginning of many disease developments.