Does this Sound like Your Morning Sickness?
There is nothing worse than being pregnant with constant nausea. You sometimes feel like you were on a boat (seasickness), and the nausea is worse with motion. Nausea feels better eating something all day long, except for sour foods, which cause vomiting. You are craving pasta, bread, butter, and dry crackers. The homeopathic remedy Lactic Acid is what you would need for your morning sickness. You would take Lactic Acid 30c every night at bedtime until you are no longer feeling nauseous, approximately 4-6 days.
Extreme Nausea and Vomiting Worse from Laying Down and Movement
My client consults with me about her extreme nausea and vomiting. Occasionally, she would have a headache due to dehydration from morning sickness. She said nothing seems to help her nausea from smells of everything that causes nausea 24 hours a day. She even wakes during the night with nausea. In the morning, she always briefly feels better after vomiting. Even though my client feels nauseous while eating breakfast, she does her best to eat something for breakfast, such as oatmeal with apples, though she can eat ramen noodles for lunch. Dinner is almost impossible, especially with food that has spices of any kind on it.
My client is even nauseous while taking a nap and more nauseous after getting up from a nap. She can’t lay down flat on her back, and any motion causes nausea and dizziness. She must lay on her side or incline position to fall asleep.
I had my client take the homeopathic remedy Bryonia Alba 1m every hour with 10 succussions (10 taps) until the nausea starts to decrease, and then back off to taking Bryonia Alba every 2-3 hours when the nausea becomes worse.
Two days later she called back, stating she didn’t vomit yesterday and felt well until the evening when it was time to take her next dose of Bryonia Alba. Taking Bryonia Alba 1m every hour, my client was able to eat and didn’t vomit. She states that this morning the nausea is much less than yesterday.
Four days later, she called back to tell me she was doing well, had no nausea, and could eat food. This morning she felt sick and then felt better after Bryonia Alba with 10 succussions and she had no vomiting and was actually hungry for food. She continued taking Bryonia Alba after eating in the morning and a dose at bedtime, until she was no longer feeling nauseous and vomiting. She can now sleep 4 hours at a clip at night.
Does the Smell of Food Cooking in the Other Room Make You Nauseous?
Your partner decides they are going to make dinner tonight. They’re in the kitchen cooking up a great meal. They start by sauteing the onions and garlic, making you feel nauseous in the living room. You decide to go upstairs to the bedroom and close the door before you start vomiting from the smell. Along with the smell of food causing you to feel nauseous while pregnant, you also crave different foods that you can eat as long as the food does not have a strong smell. Once you get a whiff of the food, that is it, you are nauseous again.
The homeopathic remedy you need is Colchicum 30c which you will take every night at bedtime will address your acute sense of smell. Another key symptom of Colchicum is that the sight of food can cause you to feel nauseous. You will continue taking Colchicum every night at bedtime until you no longer have the pregnancy nausea.
If You Don’t Feel Any Better After Vomiting
You have nausea with gagging. Sometimes the gagging goes into retching to the point that it causes you to vomit. When you have been vomiting a lot during the day, it can cause cramping and spasms in the uterus. There are times when you are retching so hard that you are afraid you may lose the baby because the uterine cramps are so bad.
The worst thing about pregnancy sickness is that you do not feel any better after vomiting. When you have this kind of morning sickness symptoms, you need the homeopathic remedy Ipecacuanha for nausea with gagging and retching that does not feel better after vomiting. Another key symptom of Ipecacuanha is your tongue has a clean red look after vomiting. The tongue commonly is white (relating to stomach symptoms) or yellow (liver) after vomiting. After taking Ipecacuanha 30c once a day at bedtime, your morning sickness will improve within a couple of days. You will continue taking Ipecacuanha until you are no longer experiencing morning sickness.
If the Need to Vomit is Better When You Lay on Your Back
I remember my daughter’s persistent vomiting when she was pregnant with her first child. Her vomiting was worse from any motion and the thought or smell of food. However, her vomiting was better when she lay on her back.
When selecting a homeopathic remedy, you sometimes have to try various things to see what make your symptoms feel better or worse, such as moving around or not moving, cold or warm drinks, fresh air, etc.
The homeopathic remedy my daughter took was Symphoricarpus Racemosus 30c every night at bedtime. Each day her vomiting was returning later in the day, and after the 4th dose of Symphoricarpus Racemosus, her vomiting stopped.
Emotional Symptoms Can Cause Morning Sickness
A client calls up telling me she is 9 weeks pregnant and has had bad morning sickness for the last couple of weeks. She tells me that she is nauseous every morning and sometimes later in the evening. My client also states she is craving various foods, especially sour ones. She noticed foods sometimes would taste salty. Her nausea is better when she is out in the fresh air. She proceeds to tell me, as she is crying, that her partner has been on a business trip for the past week, and she is feeling sad and lonely.
I selected the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla 200c for craving various kinds of food, especially food that tastes salty, and for her feeling sad and lonely because her partner is away on a business trip. Pulsatilla symptoms always feel better with fresh air.
Are You Vomiting Soon After Drinking Water?
A client calls, stating she is 6 weeks pregnant and vomits every time she drinks water. She went on to tell me that she was craving ice-cold and bubbly drinks. But as soon as she drinks a cold glass of water, within a minute or 2, up comes the water. “I can keep down bubbly drinks like seltzer or soda. I can’t keep down the water,” she tells me.
The homeopathic remedy that craves water, especially cold water, and vomits up the water within minutes is Phosphorus. After my client took Phosphorus 200c at bedtime for a few nights, she could drink water again without vomiting.
Canned Cherries Would Cause Me to Vomit When I Was Pregnant
I remember 43 years ago when I was pregnant with my first born, my son, and having morning sickness. I vomited 7 months out of 9 months of my pregnancy. It did not make any difference whether it was morning, day or evening, I would vomit. I called it “daytime sickness.” I would look at certain foods, and I would start retching. Whenever I saw a jar of canned cherries, I would start retching. When I retched too long, it would eventually cause me to vomit.
Back then, the only advice my doctor gave me was to drink coke syrup to help soothe the vomiting. I didn’t know about Homeopathy at the time. But I have helped many pregnant women with their morning sickness with homeopathic remedies.
With what I know now, I am sure the doctors did not know then that I had Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG). Looking back, I would have taken the homeopathic remedy Sepia 30c every night at bedtime until the vomiting stopped. I have since learned that prenatal vitamins also contributed to my morning sickness.
What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG)?
Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a woman’s severe, persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy that is more extreme than the typical “morning sickness.” Hyperemesis gravidarum symptoms are often less by the 20th week of pregnancy, while some continue to experience symptoms throughout the entire pregnancy.
Hyperemesis Gravidarum Symptoms
- Nausea that does not go away
- Vomiting several times every day
- Reduced appetite
- Weight loss – the major difference between Hyperemesis Gravidarum and typical morning sickness
- Feeling faint or fainting
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
A homeopathic remedy is selected according to what makes your nausea and vomiting feel better or worse, just as you would in selecting a remedy for typical morning sickness. For some women, a diet of dry bland foods and fluids may be enough. While others may need to take medication to help relieve nausea. In some cases, women with hyperemesis gravidarum need to be hospitalized to get IV fluids and nutrients because their vomiting is that severe.
Other Common Homeopathic Remedies for Morning Sickness and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Amygdalus Persica – Has constant nausea and vomiting with loss of appetite. Nausea with a dry throat, loss of appetite. Your symptoms are worse from the slightest causes, emotions, a hot closed or warm room. Your nausea and vomiting are better in the open air, exercising, and in cold water.
- Anacardium – Has an empty sick feeling in the stomach with nausea. The nausea is better with eating and snacking. You may be very hungry all the time and other times have no appetite.
- Causticum – Ishungry, and the thought, sight, or smell of food causes nausea and vomiting.
- Cocculus Indicus – Nausea sick feeling that is worse from any movement. You may have dizziness (vertigo) feeling like you are driving up or down hills even when just getting off an elevator. You have a loss of appetite, and the smell or thought of food causes nausea, which is better eating cold food.
- Gossypium Herbaceum – Morning sickness in the early months of pregnancy with nausea and excess saliva in your mouth, with an inclination to vomit before breakfast. Nausea and vomiting are made worse by motion. You may have a faint feeling lying in bed and can’t raise your head from the bed.
- Kreosotum – Your vomiting is better eating warm food. You feel you have vertigo and constantly feel you will vomit, but you don’t.
- Natrum Muriaticum – Morning sickness with nausea. You may have headaches and photophobia (sensitivity to light). You crave salty foods. Natrum Muriaticum is selected for a change in personality during pregnancy. You may be angry or frustrated with your partner or the doctors.
- Nux Vomica – Nausea worse after eating. You have hunger and yet an aversion to food. You may have nausea and vomiting with a lot of retching. You want to vomit but can’t, and you think would feel better if you could vomit. May have morning sickness, especially when riding in a car (motion or seasickness). You feel better lying down to rest. You may be very cranky, and hard to please during this time.