Homeopathy to treat dehydration
Most People in America are Dehydrated and Don’t Even Know it – Are You?
A woman recently told me that she realized that when her elderly mom became irritable, confused, and lightheaded she noticed that her mom hardly drank anything that day. This client was starting to get worried that her mom was developing a health condition. Well, technically, her mom could develop a health condition, one that could put her in the hospital and it’s called “Dehydration”.
There is no life, without water. You can survive nearly a month without food, but only three days without water. Despite water’s importance to life, most people don’t drink enough water each day to stay hydrated. Our body depends on water to survive. Every cell, tissue, and organ in the body needs water to work properly.
Effects Dehydration has on our health:
- The Brain has priority when you’re thirsty,
- Water flow controls the temperature of your body,
- Heart has to work harder, if you become dehydrated,
- Kidneys don’t work right, if you become dehydrated,
- Constipation is another symptom of dehydration,
- Water helps relieve digestive problems,
- Water helps clean the digestive tract.
We all associate dehydration with heat. When your body gets too hot, it sweats, releasing water which cools your body. When you do not drink enough water, your body loses its ability to cool itself off when necessary. Failure to stay “hydrated” when you are hot can lead to dizziness, fainting, heat shock, and other serious problems.
How Can One Become Dehydrated?
- Exercising at a high intensity or in hot weather for too long,
- Overheated (from the hot weather, or sun),
- Not taking in enough fluids during the day,
- Fever, vomiting, and or diarrhea,
- Certain medical conditions (kidney stones, bladder infection),
- Too much Caffeine (coffee or tea),
- Pregnant or breastfeeding,
- Trying to lose weight,
- Older adult’s brains may not be able to sense dehydration. It doesn’t send signals for thirst.
When my children were younger, they would sometimes tell me that they had a headache. I would say to them, “Drink a glass of water” and if they still had a headache, we would select a Homeopathic remedy for their headache. In most cases the headache would go away, just from that one glass of water.
Homeopathic Remedies for Dehydration
There are several Homeopathic remedies for Dehydration. However, China Officinalis is the Homeopathic remedy needed when someone is already dehydrated. Whether the dehydration is from being over heated, sweating, fever, vomiting, diarrhea or just not drinking enough. China will replenish the body. I have taken China and within minutes my mouth will become moist, it works that quickly. China can also be given to your pets for the above dehydration conditions.
How much Water Should Someone Drink?
If you are concerned that you are not drinking enough water, check your urine. If your urine is usually a very light yellow, you are well hydrated. If your urine is colorless or a dark yellow or amber color, you may be dehydrated.
To hydrate your body
- Drink water before, during, and after a workout.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Thirst is often confused with hunger. True hunger will not be satisfied by drinking water.
- Water can also be found in fruits and vegetables (for example, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce), and in soup broths.
Dehydration from Fever Tip – I have used personally this and often recommend it to my clients. Rub Olive oil on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet to help prevent dehydration during a fever.
Make water your main drink of the day!