Have you ever felt a squeezing pain in your ovaries during your period or with PCOS?
Sometimes my clients describe their ovarian pain as constricting or a “band” around their ovaries. They say their ovarian pain is so intense it makes them scream in pain. The homeopathic remedy Cactus Grandiflorus 30c is selected for squeezing, constricting pain in the ovary. You will take a dose of Cactus Grandiflorus 30c every 15 minutes until your ovarian pain decreases. After 1 or 2 doses of Cactus Grandiflorus, your ovarian pain will start to decrease in most cases. Cactus Grandiflorus is selected for ovarian pain with your menstrual cycle, PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), or any other health condition that has a squeezing, or constricting pain.
Did Your Ovarian Symptoms Start on the Right Side and then Move to Your Left?
The client called telling me she has been having pain in her left ovary with her menstrual period for the last few months. She states the ovarian pain is worse with pressure (i.e., sitting or bending over) and feels better when I want to stand up or stretch out. I don’t have much of an appetite, and when I do eat, I feel bloated in the lower abdomen, which causes me to have more pain in my left ovary. She also stated that sometimes her left ovary has a burning sensation. When asked if she ever had pain in her right ovary, she said yes, my right ovary was hurting for the last few menstrual periods, and also feels worse with pressure. This month I am having pain in my left ovary.
I had my client take the homeopathic remedy Lycopodium 200c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions 1-2 times a day. She would repeat Lycopodium when the symptoms became more intense again.
My client reported back 3 days later, stating that her left ovary pain is lessening. However, now she has pain in the right ovary. I explained to her Lycopodium symptoms go from the right side to the left side of the body. For Lycopodium to completely address her ovarian pain, her left ovary has to improve first. Then the symptoms will shift to her right ovary because the remedy has to retrace her symptoms back to the original symptoms, in this case, her right ovary. I also explained to my client that she will have less pain in her ovaries and a less swollen feeling too, usually by the third or fourth menstrual cycle after starting the homeopathic remedy.
Are Your Ovaries Healthy?
Most females don’t notice their ovaries or even know where their ovaries are until they have symptoms in the lower abdominal area close to the hips when they have menstrual period pains.
Ovarian pain is the most common symptom females have, especially if they have cysts, tumors, or PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). Ovary symptoms typically occur from a hormonal imbalance.
Females have 2 ovaries located in the pelvis on the left and right area between the hips, in the lower part of the abdomen, connected to the uterus by fallopian tubes.
Common Causes of Ovarian Symptoms
- Painful Menstrual Pain (dysmenorrhea) – Pain felt in uterus, ovaries, back, and thighs
- Ovulation – When the ovary releases an egg approximately around the 14th day of your menstrual cycle. The pain can be one or both ovaries
- PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) –A pelvic infection that spreads to the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes. Usually from sexually transmitted bacteria
- Ovarian Cysts – Sacs or pockets filled with a fluid form on the surface of one or both ovaries. Cyst’s symptoms cause pelvic pain, bloating, fullness in the abdomen, frequent urination, and irregular menstrual cycle
- Endometriosis –Tissue grows on the ovaries
- Ovarian Remnant Syndrome – Ovarian pain after a recent surgery to remove one of both ovaries from a tissue left behind on the ovaries
Do You Have Cysts on Your Ovary?
A client calls up, stating she has a cyst on her left ovary. Every month before her menstrual period, her left ovary feels swollen, and she has a sharp pain. Once her period starts, her ovary pain diminishes. One to two weeks after her period, her left ovary starts to have sharp pain, and the pain will continue intensifying and as soon as her menstrual period starts, the pain goes away. My client stated she is now experiencing ovarian pain, and she will be getting her period in the next 5-7 days. “I can’t wait for my period to start”, she stated, “because I know the ovarian pain will go away for a brief time again”.
I selected the homeopathic remedy Lachesis 6c for her, to be take daily in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (10 taps) to help balance her hormones and address her left ovary pain and for why she has a cyst on her ovary. One of the key symptoms of Lachesis is that hormonal symptoms improve once the menstrual period starts to flow. I had my client continue taking Lachesis until her next period starts and to report back to me.
The following month, my client reported that she hardly felt any pain in her left ovary during her PMS time and did not even realize her period would be starting. I had my client continue taking Lachesis for another month, and if she did not have any more pain in her left ovary, stop Lachesis and see how she did with her next menstrual cycle and left ovary pain.
There are 4 different types of ovarian cysts. You will select a homeopathic remedy according to the ovarian cyst symptoms you are exhibiting, along with what makes your ovary pain feel better or worse.
- Pain in the lower abdomen (i.e., sharp dull)
- Bloating, heaviness, fullness in the abdomen
- Irregular periods, heavy or scanty periods
- Painful intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Frequent urination
- Painful bowel movements
- Lower back pain or thigh pain
- Nausea and vomiting
1. Functional Ovarian Cysts
Functional cysts are linked to the menstrual cycle and the most common and are the harmless kind of ovarian cysts. These cysts come and go on their own within two to three menstrual cycles.
Two Types of Functional cysts
- Follicular Cyst – Each month before your menstrual cycle, a follicle in the ovary matures, containing an egg. The follicle ruptures to release the egg (ovulation). When the follicle does not rupture and release the egg, it swells up into a fluid-filled follicular cyst.
- Corpus Luteum Cyst – The egg (ovum) is released from the follicle during ovulation during your menstrual cycle. The follicle then converts to a “corpus luteum” mass that secretes the hormone progesterone.
When the egg gets fertilized with sperm (pregnancy occurs), the corpus luteum keeps secreting progesterone to maintain the pregnancy in the early stages. If pregnancy doesn’t happen, the corpus luteum stops secreting progesterone and disappears. In some cases, the corpus luteum doesn’t disappear even in the absence of a pregnancy. It gets filled with fluid or blood and persists in the ovary in the form of a corpus luteum cyst.
2. Dermoid Cyst
A dermoid cyst is a benign cyst containing tissues like hair, skin, fat, teeth, thyroid tissue, nails, bone, etc. The cyst is also known as an ovarian teratoma. Females usually under 30 years old tend to develop these kinds of cysts. Although not a very serious problem, unless they rupture. The cyst can cause infection or ovarian torsion.
3. Endometriomas Cyst
Endometriomas (chocolate cysts) are ovarian cysts that contain a brown, tar-like thick fluid. These cysts develop when the endometrial tissue that lines the uterus attaches to the ovary and produces a cystic mass.
4. Cystadenomas Cyst
Cysts that develop from cells covering the outer layer of the ovary are called cystadenomas. These cysts develop on the surface of the ovary. The cysts contain watery fluid (serous cystadenomas) or thick mucus-like substance (mucinous cystadenomas).
Do You Have PCOS?
A new client called (32-years-old) looking for help with Homeopathy for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). She was diagnosed 2 years ago. She has always had irregular menstrual cycles, and it’s common for her to have a period be early or late by a few days. But this past 2 years, her period has been very irregular. “I don’t know when my period will occur most months. When I was in my late teens, the doctor put me on the birth control pill to help regulate my menstrual cycle. I didn’t particularly appreciate how I felt on the pill. I was bloated, weight gain. I was irritable most of the time. After a year or so of being on the pill, I went off the pill.Now I feel pressure in my lower abdomen above my pubic bone. I think that is where my uterus is. I have PMS symptoms and I am very irritable. I fly off the handle very quickly. I feel bad for my husband around that time of the month for me, but I can’t help myself. My ovaries, especially my left ovary, are painful with a burning sensation and feel swollen when I have my period, and that causes me to pee more often.”
After acquiring my client’s case history, I put her on the homeopathic remedy Sepia 6c with 10 succussions in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) to be taken every day to help balance out her hormones. When she had her period, she took Apis Mellifica 200c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (10 taps) to help reduce the swelling of her left ovary.
She asked me if I thought we would be able to address the PCOS? Stating “I want to have children someday”. I said, our plan is for Sepia 6c to balance out your hormones, as your ovaries make and release an egg each month. Since you are starting Sepia after just finishing your period, I would expect your hormones to start to balance out within the next 3 menstrual cycles. How will you know your hormones are improving? Within your next 2 periods, you will be having less ovary pain, less swelling and be feeling less irritable. Most hormones start to balance out within the first to the third month of taking a homeopathic remedy. Your menstrual cycle will occur closer, being more on time (28-29 days). In time, your menstrual cycle will be a normal healthy period and on time. You will know when you are ovulating, which can help plan when to have a child.
My client reported that her overall PMS symptoms have improved since taking Sepia daily. By her second menstrual cycle, her period was a 30-day cycle, and she did not need to take Apis Mellifica this last menstrual cycle because she did not have any swollen ovary sensation. My client continued taking Sepia several months longer until she did not have any period symptoms and her PCOS symptoms improved.
Disclaimer: Each case in an individual case has its own hormonal history and the timing of when the hormones will balance to the point of conception.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a common health condition caused by an imbalance of reproductive hormones that creates problems in the ovaries. The name polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) misleads you to think there are numerous small cysts (fluid-filled sacs) forming on the ovaries. You do not have cysts on your ovaries with Polycystic ovary syndrome. PCOS is when your ovaries produce an abnormal amount of androgens (male sex hormones) than what your body normally has. Having a higher amount of androgens interferes with egg development and release. The ovaries make the egg release each month as part of your healthy menstrual cycle. When you have PCOS, the egg doesn’t develop as it should or is not released during ovulation as it should be, causing irregular menstrual cycles and, in some cases, infertility.
Common Symptoms of PCOS
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Ovaries can become enlarged
- Too much hair on the face, chin, or parts of the body which is called Hirsutism)
- Cysts can occur on the ovaries with PCOS
- Acne (face, chest, and upper back)
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Thinning hair or hair loss on the scalp; male-pattern baldness
- Darkening of skin – along neck creases, groin, and underneath breasts
- Skin tags in the armpits or neck area
Ovarian torsion is a severe health condition. Ovarian torsion is when the ovary is twisted. The ovarian torsion usually happens suddenly, with severe sharp pain in the lower abdomen. Ovarian torsion often has nausea and vomiting.
Also known as oophorectomy, is when one or both of your ovaries are surgically removed to address an ovarian cyst, ovarian cancer, or some other problem related to the ovaries.
Homeopathic Remedies to Address Complications with Ovariectomy
- Calendula 30c – Helps with the healing process after the procedure by promoting healthy tissue granulation and preventing scar tissue from forming.
- Sepia 6c – Addresses symptoms, especially hormonal that developed from having an ovariectomy procedure done.
Ovarian cancer often goes misdiagnosed as having a digestion problem. Because ovarian cancer has the same symptoms as common digestive conditions such as a full, bloated feeling whether you ate food or not, and feeling full quickly when eating. A pelvic ultrasound, Computed Tomography Scan (CT), CA 125 are commonly used to help diagnosed ovarian cancer.
Other Ovarian Cancer Symptoms
- Swelling in the lower abdomen
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Back pain
- Weight loss
- Changes in your bowel or urination.
If you have any of these symptoms reoccurring and your health is not improving, have a gynecological check-up to rule out ovarian cancer.
Homeopathic Remedies for Ovarian Pain, Cysts, and PCOS
Conventional medical treatment doesn’t treat the root cause of ovary health conditions; they mask the symptoms by regulating the menstrual cycle. Whether your ovary pain is from your period, cysts, or PCOS, you will select a homeopathic remedy according to the symptoms you are exhibiting and what makes your symptoms better or worse to address why you have ovarian symptoms.
Apis Mellifica – Has a burning, stinging, sharp, cutting pain from the ovary radiating down the thigh, soreness and tenderness over the ovarian region, especially right ovary. There is a heaviness feeling in the ovarian region, and pain in the ovaries during your period. The pain is worse on stooping and when you start to walk. I select Apis for swelling of the ovary along with homeopathic remedy to address why you have ovary symptoms.
Belladonna – Selected for ovarian pain during the menstrual cycle that is worse with jarring. Belladonna has a throbbing, stitching, cutting pain or a burning sensation in the ovaries.
Cactus Grandiflorus – This is for a squeezing, constricting, or iron band feeling around your ovary. The ovary pain is worse from lying on the left side, and with exertion such as walking.
Colocynthis – The ovaries have a squeezing, cramping, or a deep stitching pain. The pain causes you to double over, putting pressure on the ovary which relieves the pain.
Lachesis Muta –Is selected for sharp, shooting, stitching, pressing, or burning felt in the left ovary. The ovary pain is better during your period. Ovary pain can move from the left ovary to the right ovary.
Lycopodium Clavatum – Ovarian pain starts in the right ovary and moves to the left ovary. The ovaries have a burning or boring pain. The ovary pain is worse with pressure.
Magnesia Phosphorica – Is selected for ovarian pain that shoots and darts like lighting. The pain is better with applying heat on the ovary area and pressure by doubling over.
Palladium – This is used for right ovarian pain better by pressure. The ovary is swollen and the pain becomes worse with standing and walking. Rubbing the area, lying down, and applying pressure on the ovary helps relieve the pain.
Podophyllum – For ovarian pain that radiates down the thighs during your period. You feel a dragging pain in your ovaries or a bearing down in the abdomen and in your back.
Pulsatilla Nigricans – Ovary pains are primarily seen in young girls (pubescent) who have irregular periods, weep easily and feel better when consoled.
Sabina Officinalis – Is selected for ovarian symptoms with heavy menstrual bleeding. The menstrual bleeding is bright red and copious, with dark clots. Movement makes the menstrual bleeding worse.
Sepia – Selected for irregular menstruation (early or late, scanty or profuse, long or short duration). Sepia regulates your menstrual cycle to appear at the proper expected time. The pelvis has a bearing down sensation, soreness, fullness, pressure, distension, and pain in the pelvic region, especially in the left ovary. Sepia is one of the homeopathic remedies that can address abnormal hair growth on the face, especially on upper lips.
Thuja – Selected when you have multiple cysts in ovaries, especially your left ovary used to dissolve cysts. It can also address extreme hair growth on unusual parts in women from a hormonal imbalance.
How a Homeopathy Consultation Can Help Your Ovarian Symptoms
When you are experiencing ovarian symptoms (acutely), a 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy will start to give you relief within 60 minutes, in some cases as soon as 15 minutes.
When you continue to have reoccurring ovarian symptoms month after month, you will need to address what is causing you to have those symptoms. Having a health history taken to acquire your ovary history and general case history will help select a 6c homeopathic remedy to address the underlying cause of your period symptoms.
Homeopathic Steps in Addressing Your Ovarian Symptoms
A complete health history will be taken to address your ovary symptoms. While taking your case history, I will ask you what your menstrual period and ovary symptoms are and when the symptoms started. A Chronic Fundamental homeopathic remedy will be selected to address who you are and how you developed ovary symptoms.
- In taking your case history, you will be giving me a complete health history giving a snapshot of how your general health is from birth to the present time.
- The main focus would be on what was going on in your life before you developed ovary symptoms —looking back at the last 6-12 months of your life for stressors (i.e., relationship, work-related, financial, or caring for a loved one) and in some cases further back as to what happened in your life that could have triggered you to have a hormonal imbalance.
- Also taken into consideration are other physical ovary symptoms, and your regular menstrual cycle is, was before you developed the ovary symptoms, along with other hormonal symptoms you are having. You will be asked general health questions about your digestion, sleep, mental, and emotional state.
- Acute symptoms – A homeopathic remedy selected for the Acute symptom(s) you have with your ovarian symptoms (i.e., location of symptoms, pain, PMS).
- Your homeopathic remedy will be selected according to the acute symptom(s) and what makes the symptom(s) better or worse.
How to Administer a Homeopathic Remedy and Results for Ovarian Symptoms
- The selected 6c Chronic Fundamental homeopathic remedy will be taken daily with 10 succussions for why you have a hormonal imbalance causing ovarian symptoms. If you are taking hormonal medications, you will continue taking the medication until you can get off the medication.
- 3 “Signs of Health” must occur within 5-7 days after taking a homeopathic 6c remedy.
- Increased or Balanced Energy – Children’s energy needs to be balanced, and adults need increased energy
- Well-Being Feeling – You will feel a mental and emotional shift (i.e., the day seems more manageable in some way).
- Sleep Cycles Improve – Falls asleep easier, stays asleep, or wakes up refreshed and ready to go each morning.
- Your chief ovarian symptoms will be addressed with your homeopathic 6c remedy and will start to improve within the next 3 months. Over the next 3 menstrual cycles, you will see more improvement with less ovary pain and swelling, PMS, menstrual cycle occurring regularly (28-29 days) and emotional (i.e., irritability and sadness).
- You will take a 30c or 200c Acute homeopathic remedy selected for the acute ovarian symptoms and will be taken several times a day.
- The acute symptoms will start to improve within 60 minutes, in some cases within 15 minutes.
The main objective here in using Homeopathy is to support your immune system by balancing your hormonal levels, lessening your ovarian symptoms, and addressing why you developed them.