Mastitis is an inflammation of the breast ducts, which can lead to a painful breast infection, such as a breast abscess. Mastitis can happen to any woman or even a man, though mastitis is most common in women during the first 6 months of breastfeeding or when frequency of breast feeding is reduced.
I remember a time when my breast was so painful, during the time I was weaning my daughter Jennifer from breast feedings. My right breast was swollen, firm, and hurt when I took my bra off (worse from movement). Since my breast was worse from movement, I took several doses a day of the homeopathic remedy Bryonia Alba 200c. After taking the second dose of Bryonia Alba, my breast pain was slightly less painful. I repeated Bryonia Alba when the breast pain increased until I no longer had symptoms.
Causes of Mastitis
- Blocked (clogged) milk duct
- Bacteria entering the breast from cuts on your skin, cracked nipples, or your milk ducts
- Less frequent breast feeding
- Breast swelling
- Breast tissue is red and warm to the touch
- Thickening of breast tissue or a breast lump
- Breast pain or burning sensation continuously or during breastfeeding
- Feeling tired and run-down
- Fever of 1010 F or higher
- Discharge from nipple
Homeopathic Remedies for Mastitis
Match a homeopathic remedy to the symptoms you are experiencing. Take the selected remedy in a 30c or 200c potency several times a day when your breast symptoms intensify.
- Belladonna – Your breast feels hard and heavy with throbbing pain and is red with streaks that radiate out from the nipples.
- Bryonia Alba – The breast is hard like a stone, and you have a fever. The breast feels hot and hurts when you move your breast, such as when you take your bra off, walk up and down the stairs, and when nursing.
- Hepar Sulphuris – Your breast is hypersensitive to touch, even just clothing touching your breast and feels better when you apply a warm cloth (compress).
- Phytolacca – The breast is heavy, hard, stony, and swollen. You have breast pain during nursing that spreads all over the body. Breast pain is better when applying pressure with your hand.
- Silica – You have a breast infection with a bloody pus or yellow stringy cheese like consistency discharge from the nipple and pain while nursing. The breast feels better with heat and warm wraps.
- Castor Oil Packs – Are great to use when you have a breast infection (mastitis). Castor oil is a drawing agent and will help in draining out the milk ducts when used along with heat. Allowing the hot water to flow onto the breast(s) during a hot shower will also help drain the milk ducts.
How to Prevent Mastitis
- Completely drain the milk from your breasts while breastfeeding.
- Have your baby empty one breast before switching to the other breast during feeding.
- Change the position in which you breastfeed from one feeding to the next.
- Make sure your baby latches on properly during feedings.
I recommend you take the selected homeopathic remedy and continue breastfeeding. As painful as it may be to continue breastfeeding until the homeopathic remedy starts working, it will be better for you and your baby to drain the milk ducts.