Whether you call it a “Visit from Aunt Flo, Lady Business, Girl Flu, Moon Time, or Mother Nature’s Gift,” every female has experienced symptoms with their menstrual period at some point. Typical period symptoms you may have had range from delayed, early, heavy bleeding, painful periods, or bleeding lasting for days. The good news is, you do not need to suffer from your period symptoms. Homeopathic remedies can address immediate (acute) period symptoms. After a couple of doses of a homeopathic remedy, usually within 30-60 minutes relief can be found. A strength of 6c homeopathic remedy taken daily will also address chronic continuous period symptoms.
Have You Had Menstrual Cramps Like This?
My client consults with me about her daughter’s menstrual cramps. The mom said her daughter describes her cramps as someone squeezing a muscle in the right side of her abdomen by her hip. I had my client’s daughter take the homeopathic remedy Cactus Grandiflorus 30c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (taps) every 15 minutes until her cramping pain started to decrease. She repeated Cactus Grandiflorus 30C with 10 succussions whenever the cramps started to increase, taking the remedy approximately every 1-3 hours.
Do You Have a Healthy Menstrual Period?
The first day of your menstrual period (menstrual cycle) starts with the first day of your bleeding. A period can last from 2 to 7 days, with your heaviest bleeding usually occurring within the first 3 days. Your next month’s period is calculated by the number of days between the first day of your menstrual bleeding and the first day of your next menstrual period. Most females have menstrual cycles that range from 21- 35 days, with the average menstrual cycle being around 28–29 days between periods.
What Commonly Causes Period Symptoms?
There are various reasons why you could be experiencing menstrual symptoms. Here is a list of the most common causes of period symptoms:
- Mental and emotional (i.e., fright, grief, depression, emotional
- excitement, shock)
- High-pressure Job
- Nutrition or fasting, Anorexia
- Illness (i.e., Mononucleosis, Hepatitis)
- Getting feet wet
- Mechanical injuries
- Malposition of uterus
Absent or Delayed in Getting Menstrual Period (Amenorrhea)
Have You Experienced a Delayed Period with These Symptoms?
A client calls up, telling me she hasn’t had a period for almost 3 months. Each month she feels like she will get her period, but nothing happens other than her usual PMS symptoms getting worse. Her breasts feel more tender plus she feels irritable, depressed, and restless. She said, “If I can just start to bleed, I know I will feel much better.” I had my client take the homeopathic remedy Lachesis 30c (1-3 dry pellets) once a day until her period started. My client called me back 3 days later to tell me she only needed to take Lachesis 30c for 2 nights and her period started. Now that she has her period, she feels more like herself again.
Common reasons women are experiencing delayed periods or absence of periods (amenorrhea) can come from the following:
- Emotional and physical stress
- Low body weight
- Rapid weight loss
- Intense Exercise (sports)
- Eating disorders (such as anorexia nervosa)
- Problems with the brain (hypothalamus or pituitary gland)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Problems with their thyroid gland
- Chronic health conditions
Homeopathic Remedies to Bring About Your Period
You want to select a 30c homeopathic remedy according to what is causing your period to be delayed or absent to bring on your period (bleeding). Take the selected homeopathic remedy every night until your period starts.
- Causticum – Period ceases at night and flows only during the day.
- Dulcamara – Suppression of period from the cold or damp weather.
- Ignatia Amara – Is for the suppressed period from grief. She cries hysterically and sighs a lot.
- Lachesis – For asuppressed period from hormonal imbalance. Feels better once the period starts.
- Lycopodium – Is for a suppressed period for months from a fright.
- Natrum Muriaticum – No period from something that happened from an emotional situation: grief, disappointed love, depression, guilt, miscarriage, or abortion. You dwell continuously on thoughts throughout the day.
- Pulsatilla – The suppressed period is from emotional stress (i.e., abandonment, not being included, sad, cries very easily) and from getting feet wet in cold swimming pool water, and stops after bathing.
- Ratanhia Peruviana – Is for a delayed period with swelling of abdomen and breasts simulating a pregnancy of several months with profuse leukorrhea and kidney pain.
- Sepia – Period is very late and scanty or has a lumpy discharge instead of period.
- Silicea – Has a watery discharge instead of bleeding. Period suppressed for months.
- Bryonia Alba – Nose bleeds in place of the period. Having a nose bleed in place of a period is called vicarious menstruation with a suppressed period.
Herbs to Help Bring on Delayed Menstrual Periods
- Fresh Ginger – Add grated ginger and honey (according to taste) to a cup of hot water and steep for ten minutes and sip. Drink ginger tea solution once a day, along with taking a homeopathic remedy until your period starts.
- Rue Tea – Drink hot rue tea once a day with honey to help bring on irregular periods, along with a homeopathic remedy.
Delay in Young Girls Having Their First Period (Menarche)
The primary cause of amenorrhea in young girls not having their first period (menarche) at age 15 years or older is due to a hormonal imbalance from mental and emotional stress. These are girls who are very slow to go through puberty and experiencing slow development of breasts, and pubic hair growth. The average age for girls to start their periods is 12-14 years old.
Girls who are getting their periods earlier than age 12 are most likely consuming too much animal protein, eggs, and dairy with hormones in them. The hormones in the meat, eggs and dairy accelerate the hormones in their bodies, causing them to develop early. It is best to eat organic meats, eggs, and dairy at any age.
Homeopathic Remedies to Bring on Delayed First Periods in Young Girls
- Natrum Muriaticum – Delayed in having the first period from grief or depression.
- Pulsatilla – Delayed in having the first period from hormonal and emotional issues, such as cries very easily, feels sad, lonely or abandoned.
- Senecio Aureus – Is for a delayed period in young girls with backache.
- Sepia – Delayed in getting the first period from a hormonal imbalance. Sepia is selected in place of doctors wanting to put the young girl on birth control pills to bring on her period.
Irregular Period Case Scenario – 35-year-old woman consults with me about having irregular periods for the past year on and off. She said her period had been late a few days a couple of times. However, her period has for the most part, been starting a few days earlier than expected. She mentioned when she has her PMS symptoms, her left hip hurts. I asked if she had a history of having period problems in the past and she said that her doctor put her on the birth control pill to regulate her periods when she was a teenager. Since she has pain in her left hip and a history of taking the birth control pill, I put her on the homeopathic remedy Sepia 30c, to be taken every night in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions. I told her that if she continues to have irregular periods, she would need to take Sepia 6c with 10 succussions to balance out her hormones to address taking the birth control pill.
What are Considered Irregular Periods?
An Irregular period that comes on early, 1 or more days sooner than expected, is considered to be irregular. Take the selected 30c homeopathic remedy once a day at bedtime to balance out your hormonal system for the menstrual cycle to come on every 28-29 days.
Homeopathic Remedies for Irregular Periods
- Ambra Grisea – Period comes on too early and is very profuse.
- Argentum Nitricum – Period comes on too soon or too late and only lasts one day.
- Belladonna – Period starts too early. Flow is profuse with bright red blood that feels hot.
- Calcarea Carbonica – The period comes on too early is too profuse with vertigo, toothache, and cold, damp feet.
- Carbo Animalis – Period starts too early with long-lasting dark clots.
- Magnesium Muriaticum – Period comes on early with profuse dark lumpy black like tar discharge with cramps.
- Natrum Muriaticum – Period is irregular and profuse from grief or depression.
- Phosphorus – Periods is too early and gushes when stands up.
- Sabina – Period is bright red blood, gushes with clots worse the slightest movement.
- Sepia – Period early and profuse. Sepia is the main homeopathic remedy for hormonal imbalances causing periods to be not regular.
Painful Periods (Dysmenorrhea)
Have You Ever Taken Colocynthis for Your Menstrual Cramps?
A mother calls me about her 15-year-old daughter having painful menstrual cramps. The daughter spends the first couple of days in bed curled up in a ball (fetal position) when she gets her period. As soon as she straightens out her legs, her cramps intensify again with radiating pain. The mother also mentions that her daughter is very irritable with period cramps. I had her take the homeopathic remedy Colocynthis 30c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions every 15 minutes until the cramping pain started to decrease. Once the intensity of the cramps has decreased, I told her to back off from taking Colocynthis and to repeat Colocynthis only when the intensity of the pains increases, approximately every 2 to 3 hours.
If the mother had said her daughter’s cramps were better with a hot water bottle, I would have recommended the homeopathic remedy Magnesia Phosphorica 30c in warm water. Placing Magnesia Phosphorica 30c in water is a little trick in Homeopathy to help address the menstrual cramps faster. Add 1-2 pellets of Magnesia Phosphorica 30c in Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB). Place RSB in a bowl of warm water and take a sip of the Remedy Solution Bottle every 15 minutes until cramping pains decrease. Repeat as needed when the intensity of the cramps increases.
I suggested that if her daughter continues to have monthly menstrual cramps, she has a chronic case to help in selecting a 6c homeopathic remedy to address why she has continuous menstrual cramps. Taking a 30c homeopathic remedy acutely can address the monthly cramps by balancing out the hormones. However, you may need to take a case history to find out why there is a hormonal imbalance and address it with a 6c homeopathic remedy.
What Causes Painful Periods (Dysmenorrhea)?
Painful period symptoms can be in the lower abdominal area (ovaries, endometriosis, fibroids, etc.), the back or down the thighs. The cramping pain can be throbbing, griping or squeezing. You may also experience nausea.
You will select a homeopathic remedy according to the location of the pain, the sensation of the pain and what makes the pain better or worse (i.e., pressure, heat, bending backward, movement).
Acutely administer a 30c homeopathic remedy in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (taps) every 15-30 minutes until the intensity of pain decreases. Repeat remedy if the intensity of the symptoms starts to increase.
Homeopathic Remedies for Painful Periods
- Belladonna – Violent bearing-down pain towards genitals; feels like everything would fall out. Pain is better standing, sitting erect, bending backward, or lying semi-erect. The cramps are worse lying down.
- Bryonia – Cramps worse from movement. Pains feel better when lying down or sitting very still.
- Cactus Grandiflorus – Pain is a squeezing, pulsating pain in the uterus or ovary.
- Chamomilla – Cramps with intense pain and irritability, especially from anger.
- Cimicifuga Racemosa – Pains go across the pelvis, from hip to hip, ovary to ovary, and up or down thighs. The pain worsens from motion and feels better with rest, warm wraps on the painful area, continued motion, and pressure.
- Colocynthis – Cramps are better pressure and laying in the fetal position.
- Dioscorea –Is selected for spasmodic uterine pains that suddenly fly to distant body parts. Pain is better bending backward, stretching out, or standing erect. Pains are worse when you lay down or double up.
- Ipecacuanha – Cramping, constant pains with heavy gushing bleeding with nausea, gasping with each blood gush.
- Kali Carbonicum – Has violent backache better sitting, pressure, getting on hands and knees (all fours), and taking a bath.
- Lycopodium – Has pain in the right ovary that later moves to the left ovary in the same period or during the next period.
- Magnesia Muriaticum – Uterine cramps extend down to thighs. Cramps better with pressure on the back, lying on a hard pillow.
- Magnesium Phosphorica – Cramps better when applying pressure and warm compresses to the area.
- Sepia – Bearing down pressure in the uterus as if everything would fall out of the vagina. Can have pain in left hip, producing sharp clutching pains. The period is painful when bleeding is scanty.
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris – Period with violent pains from fibroids.
- Trillium Pendulum – Uterine hemorrhage as though hips and back were falling to pieces. Better with tight bandage.
- Viburnum Opulus – Violent spasmodic cramping in the pelvic area, causing you to feel nervous and cannot keep still. Pains are worse on the left side, which is better with pressure and open air.
- Xanthoxylum Fraxineum – Ovarian pain extending down thigh. Pains can also be in the back and extend down the legs. Cramping pains are worse on the left side. Period pains can be from endometriosis.
Heavy Menstrual Periods (Menorrhagia)
I Have Taken Phosphorus for Heavy Bleeding, Have You?
I remember when I had heavy bleeding. Every time I would stand up, bright red blood would come gushing out. I felt spacey and light-headed from the heavy bleeding. The heavy bleeding usually happens to me on the second and third days of my period. When I experienced this kind of heavy bleeding, I would take the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 200c pellets (1-3 pellets). One of the great things about Phosphorus 200c is it’s a fast-working remedy. When you are experiencing heavy bleeding, you want something to work fast to slow down the bleeding. I repeated Phosphorus 200c when the gushing blood became more intense again. I would only need to take 1 or 2 doses the first day of the gushing bleeding during most periods.
What is Menorrhagia?
Menorrhagia is profuse excessive heavy bleeding during your period, and can sometimes be accompanied by clots. Menorrhagia can occur from having fibroids, endometriosis, or adenomyosis, and missed periods.
You will select a 30c homeopathic remedy according to the remedy symptoms that match your heavy bleeding. Administer the selected homeopathic remedy acutely in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (taps) every ½ hour or hour until the intensity of the bleeding decreases. Repeat the selected remedy when the intensity starts to increase.
Homeopathic Remedies for Heavy Periods (Menorrhagia)
- Belladonna – Is for bright red hot gushing blood.
- Ipecacuanha– Bright red blood with nausea. Cramping pains are better when lying still in bed.
- Kali Carbonium – Is for a profuse long-continued period of bright red blood that is better taking a bath.
- Phosphorus – Gushing bright red blood, especially when standing up. You will also feel light-headed and spacey.
- Sabina – Bright red blood gushes with large clots, worse slightest movement.
- Secale – Period is copious with continuous dark oozing of watery blood until next menstrual cycle.
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris – Is selected for bright red profuse bleeding that occurs every other period.
- Trillium Pendulum– Gushing blood worse from the slightest movement. Heavy bleeding with pain feels like the hips and back were falling to pieces. Hemorrhages can be from fibroids.
- Ustilago – Is for heavy bleeding with a flabby uterus. Bleeding is ½ liquid and ½ clotted bright red blood, especially at menopause. The period is worse from the slightest movement.
Homeopathic Remedies for Weakness Due to Heavy Bleeding
Weakness from bleeding is a sign that you are heading towards anemia or are anemic. The homeopathic remedies listed below will increase your iron count. However, you still need to address why you have heavy bleeding symptoms with a homeopathic remedy.
- China Officinalis (Cinchona)30c – Feeling exhausted from bleeding, low iron count. Take China Officinalis 30c once a day and a homeopathic remedy for the heavy bleeding. China Officinalis will bring up your iron count and address the anemia.
- Ferrum Phosphoricum 6x (Hyland’s Cell Salt) or 30c homeopathic remedy – Ferrum Phosphoricum is made from iron. Ferrum Phosphorus will increase your iron count without the side effects iron supplements can have. You administer Ferrum Phosphorus 6x (Hyland’s Cell Salt) by taking 1 – 4 tablets, 1 – 3 times a day. Alternatively, take Ferrum Phosphoricum 30c once a day.
In Between Bleeding (Metrorrhagia)
Metrorrhagia Case Scenario – A woman recently called me about her having her period every couple of weeks and asked if Homeopathy could help her. She stated she was just diagnosed with having uterine fibroids. Yes, I said, and explained to her how a homeopathic remedy could help her acutely with the in-between bleeding along with the heavy bleeding. I explained to her that a complete case history needs to be taken to address why she has fibroids and to help with selecting a chronic 6c homeopathic remedy to be taken daily. She decided to have a complete case history taken.
After taking her complete case history, she started the homeopathic remedy Trillium Pendulum 30c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions every hour to decrease the heavy bleeding that she was having every 2 weeks. Once the bleeding decreased, she took Trillium Pendulum whenever the bleeding increased. I also had her take 2 herbal tinctures, Red Raspberry and Yarrow, in hot water 2-3 times a day and to continue drinking them through her period. When her period was heavy from day 3 on, she would add the herbal tincture Sheppard’s Purse to her hot water to help with the heavy bleeding. Once her period stopped, she started a 6c homeopathic remedy selected for why she had a fibroid. Her menstrual bleeding should improve by the second or third period after taking the 6c homeopathic remedy. My client will stay on the 6c homeopathic remedy to continue balancing out her hormones and start shrinking the fibroid.
What is Metrorrhagia and How Homeopathy Can Help You
Metrorrhagia is uterine bleeding at irregular intervals, especially in between the expected menstrual cycle. Metrorrhagia bleeding usually is from having fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis or hyperplasia, etc.
Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle
For an actual menstrual cycle, you must ovulate to have a period. Ovulation happens 14 days prior to your period (day 1 of cycle bleeding). If you did not ovulate, your bleeding is coming from some kind of health condition (i.e., fibroid, endometriosis, adenomyosis, hyperplasia), and you are having what’s called an Anovulatory Cycle.
Anovulatory Cycle – Is bleeding or a period-like cycle that happens when ovulation fails to occur. The anovulatory cycle is from estrogen dominance when your estrogen levels are higher than your progesterone levels. Your estrogen production continues to thicken your uterine lining (endometrium) without reaching the threshold necessary to trigger ovulation. The anovulatory cycle causes your endometrium lining to slowly build up over an extended period of time. Eventually, your uterine lining becomes so thick and heavy it can no longer sustain itself. You end up having what is known as estrogen breakthrough bleeding.
You will administer selected 30c homeopathic remedy acutely in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (taps) every 30 to 60 minutes until the intensity of bleeding decreases. You will repeat the homeopathic remedy with bleeding increases.
Homeopathic Remedies for In Between Bleeding (Metrorrhagia)
- Ambra Grisea – Discharge of blood between periods and every little incident. Worse lying down.
- Bovista Lycoperdon – Bleeding is very profuse and worse at night. You have a period every 2 weeks. Bleeding is very dark and clotted. Can have traces of period (breakthrough bleeding) between your periods.
- Elaps Corallinus – Discharge of black blood between periods.
- Phosphorus – Has bright red gushing blood when standing up.
- Sabina – Profuse bleeding with large clots. Bleeding worse from movement
- Sepia – Bleeding between periods from an enlarged uterus.
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris – Bright red profuse bleeding occurs too frequent and is copious.
- Trillium Pendulum – Has bleeding every 2 weeks, especially around menopausal time or from fibroids.
- Ustilago – In between bleeding with fibroids, the cervix is spongy, causing it to bleed easily. Bleeding is ½ liquid, and ½ clotted that is bright red.
Herbal Tinctures to Help with In Between Bleeding
The following 3 herbal tinctures are used for in-between bleeding from fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis, and hyperplasia.
- Red Raspberry Tincture and Yarrow Tincture – Start both tinctures 2 weeks prior to when the period starts. Add 30 drops of each tincture to a cup of hot water and drink 2 – 3 times a day. When your period starts, continue drinking Red Raspberry and Yarrow tinctures hot solution 2 – 3 times a day with heavy bleeding.
- Sheppard’s Purse Tincture – If bleeding is still heavy day 3 on of your period, add 30 drops of Sheppard’s Purse to Red Raspberry and Yarrow tinctures hot water solution and take 3 times a day.
Protracted Periods (Prolonged Bleeding)
Has Your Period Continued Beyond Seven Days?
My client calls me telling me she has had her period for 10 days. Her menstrual period has always lasted 7 days. She said she is bleeding is bright red, and it looks like the bleeding is not going to be ending soon. I put her on the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 200c dry pellets to take every night at bedtime until her bleeding stops. She called me back four days later to tell me her period finally stopped after taking 3 doses of Phosphorus 200c. If her period goes on longer than 7 days, I said to start taking Phosphorus 200c again at bedtime. I then suggested having her case history taken to help select a 6c homeopathic remedy for why she has a protracted period.
What is a Protracted Period?
A protracted period is when your period lasts 1 or more days beyond your healthy menstrual cycle. Take the selected 30c homeopathic remedy once a day until bleeding stops.
- Phosphorus200c – #1 homeopathic remedy to use for protracted bleeding.
- Ratanhia Peruviana – The period is too copious. The bleeding lasts too long, with pains in the abdomen and sides of lower back (flanks).
- Sabina – Period continues past 7 days with gushing bright blood with dark clots.
- Secale – Period flow is copious dark oozing of watery blood until the next menstrual cycle.
- Sepia – Periods last 5 – 10 days beyond the normal menstrual cycle.
- Thlaspi Bursa Pastoris – Your period is 8 – 18 days long, you scarcely recover from the last period, and the next one begins.
- Thuja Occidentalis – The period lasts 18 days, and no homeopathic remedy stops the bleeding and has bleeding fibroids, endometriosis, or adenomyosis.
- Ustilago – Period continues for an additional 10 – 14 days of oozing dark blood with clots forming long black strings. The period does not cease before the next period.
How a Homeopathy Consultation Can Help Your Menstrual Period Symptoms
When you are experiencing period symptoms before or during your period (acutely), a 30c homeopathic remedy will start to give you relief within 60 minutes, in some cases as soon as 15 minutes.
When you continue to have reoccurring period symptoms month after month, you will need to go deeper into addressing what is causing you to have those symptoms. Having a case history taken to acquire your period history and general case history will help select a 6c homeopathic remedy to address the underlining cause of your period symptoms.
Homeopathic Steps in Addressing Your Menstrual Period
A complete case history will be taken to address your period symptoms. While taking your case history, I will also ask you what your period symptoms were now and when the symptoms started, especially if you are taking hormonal medication.
- A Chronic Fundamental homeopathic remedy will be selected to address who you are and how you developed period symptoms.
- In taking your case history, you will be giving me a complete health history giving a snapshot of how your general health is from birth to the present time.
- The main focus would be on what was going on in your life before you developed period symptoms —looking back at the last 6-12 months of your life for stressors (i.e., relationship, work-related, financial, or caring for a loved one) and in some cases further back as to what happened in your life that could have triggered you to have a hormonal imbalance.
- Also taken into consideration are other physical symptoms of your menstrual period such as excessive bleeding (monthly and in between), clots, menstrual pains, anemia, how your menstrual cycle was before you developed the period symptoms, along with other hormonal symptoms you are having. You will be asked general health questions about your digestion, sleep, and mental, emotional state.
- Acute symptoms – A homeopathic remedy selected for the Acute symptom(s) you have with your menstrual period symptoms (i.e., excessive bleeding, clots, menstrual pains, anemic symptoms).
- A homeopathic remedy will be selected according to the acute symptom(s) and what makes the symptom(s) better or worse.
How to Administer a Homeopathic Remedy and Results for Period Symptoms
- A 6c Chronic Fundamental homeopathic remedy will be taken daily with 10 succussions (10 taps) for a period of time. If you are taking hormonal medications, you will continue taking the medication with the expectation to lower the medication dosage and possibly getting off the medication altogether.
- 3 “Signs of Health” must occur within 5-7 days after taking a homeopathic 6c remedy.
- Increased or Balanced Energy – Children’s energy needs to be balanced, and adults need increased energy.
- Well-Being Feeling – A mental and emotional shift (i.e., day seems easier in some way).
- Sleep Cycles Improve – Falls asleep easier, stays asleep, or wakes up refreshed and ready to go each morning.
- The chief menstrual period symptoms your homeopathic 6c remedy was selected for will start to improve within the next 3 months. Over the next 3 menstrual cycles, you will see more improvement with how much you are bleeding, a decrease in pain with your period, and any other symptoms you have each month with your period.
- A 30c or 200c Acute homeopathic remedy selected for the acute symptoms (i.e., heavy bleeding, clots, anemia, period pains) will be taken several times a day as needed.
- The acute symptoms will start to improve within 60 minutes, in some cases within 15 minutes.
- Ferr Phos 6x (Hyland’s Cell Salt) and China Officinalis 30c may also be recommended to you for any iron deficiency (anemia). Alternatively, you may take other homeopathic remedies for other symptoms you may be experiencing, which will be taken 1 or more times a day.
The main objective here is to support your immune system by balancing your hormonal levels, lessening your menstrual period symptoms, and addressing why you developed period symptoms.