How Homeopathy Helps With Sleep Issues
Are You Sleeping Through the Night?
Are You Full of Energy When You Wake Up?
Ever have one of those nights when you just can’t fall a sleep? Then when you finally do fall asleep, you wake up couple of hours later?
I too, have from time to time had problems falling asleep or staying asleep. When this happens, I have found homeopathic remedies to help me fall asleep and stay asleep.
Sleep scenarios and associated Homeopathic Remedies to Help You Fall and Stay Asleep
- You are feeling anxious and wondering how you will to do the next day (i.e., taking a test, giving a presentation, doctor’s appointment), OR perhaps
- Your child wakes up from a nightmare and can’t fall back to sleep, because he is too scared.
Taking a dose (1-3 pellets on the tongue) of the homeopathic remedy Aconite Napellus 30c and Gelsemium 200c will help with the fear and anxiety, so you and/or your child can fall asleep.
- Your lying-in bed worrying about something that is going on in your family, a family member. Everyone depends on you to take care of them (falls on your shoulders).
- Or you are feeling overwhelmed and can’t fall asleep.
When you are lying in bed worrying or feeling overwhelmed take a dose (1-3 pellets) of the homeopathic remedy Calcarea Carbonicum 30c to help you fall asleep.
- You are too tired to fall asleep from not getting regular sleep and you’re feeling exhausted., Especially when you go through a period of getting up at nights to care for someone that is ill, or you’re waking up during the night with the baby.
A dose of the homeopathic remedy Cocculus Indicus 30c will help settle you down, so you can fall asleep.
- You are lying in bed and can’t fall asleep, because you are SO excited that you are leaving tomorrow for a trip that you have been planning for the last 10 months. OR
- You can’t fall asleep because of the excitement of picking up your huge lottery check that you won. You’re so excited you can’t calm down your nervous system.
Take a dose of the homeopathic remedy Coffea Crude 30c, this will help calm your nervous system (whether you are excited or not) and you will be able to fall asleep.
- You woke up from a sound sleep and can’t fall back to sleep. As you are lying in bed trying to fall back to sleep, you keep looking at the clock, counting the number of hours you have left to sleep. Worrying that you will not get enough sleep to do all that you have to do the next day.
This is when you want to take a dose of the homeopathic remedy Kali Carbonicum 30c when you can’t fall back to sleep and you’re worried you won’t have enough hours of sleep.
- You have problems getting to sleep around the full moon or the other moon phases.
A dose of the homeopathic remedy Luna 30c, will help you fall asleep during the full moon.
- Your lying-in bed and you can’t turn off the chatter in your head. Whether you are thinking (dwelling) on something a friend said to you or about something that happened a day or two ago.
- The only way you find that you can fall asleep at night is to read until you are so tired that you stop thinking and can’t keep your eyes open and then drift off to sleep.
- Or you wake up during the night and have to turn on TV and watch until you can fall back to sleep again.
Taking a dose of the homeopathic remedy Natrum Muriaticum 200c will stop the chatter in your head and you will be able to fall asleep.
- You are able to fall asleep, but you wake up between the hours of 3:00 -4:00 AM and can’t fall back to sleep and you may also be feeling irritable. Your digestion can be off from overindulgence in food, tobacco or alcohol, especially right before bedtime.
On the nights when you cannot fall back to sleep, take a dose (1-3 pellets) of the homeopathic remedy Nux vomica 30c.
What if I Still Cannot Fall Back to Sleep?
Take one dose of the selected homeopathic remedy and if you are not yawning or starting to doze off within 30 minutes, repeat the remedy again. Sometimes you may need 2 doses of a homeopathic remedy to get back to sleep.
A Sleep Routine Helps – Here’s Mine
One hour before I go to bed, I like to spend some time reading, playing a game or watching a little TV (nothing serious), to help my mind and body relax.
About a year ago, my husband and I starting mouth taping (see below for the benefits) –I have always slept well, however, since mouth taping, I am sleeping deeper. The best part about mouth taping, I am not nudging my husband during the night when he snores, because he’s not snoring.
We also have been sleeping on a grounding sheet (see below the benefits), actually a ½ sheet that goes across the lower half of our bed; for over a year now. The first time I layed on the grounding sheet within seconds my stomach started gurgling, my leg and ankle suddenly had twinges where I had old injuries. I have since felt old symptoms that I have had in the past surface, the same way one would have from taking a low potency homeopathic remedy; what is called retracing or unwinding old symptoms.
Do You Check Your Wrists in the Morning?
Another way to know how well you slept through the night, is to check the veins in your wrists in the morning before you move around and get out of bed. When the veins are not showing you slept well, and if your veins are showing (popping out) you can see that you did not sleep that well/deeply that night.
Here Are My Suggestions for Better Night’s Sleep
Having a bedtime routine can help you and your body unwind and get into the sleep mode.
- Allow the Body to Relax and Become Sleepy – By listening to relaxing music, meditate, evening stretches, writing in your journal, read.
- Go to Bed the Same Time Each Night.
- Shoot for 7-8 Hours of Sleep Each Night
- Mouth Taping (see below the benefits)
- Grounding Sheet or Mattress Cover (see below the benefits)
- Negative Ionizer – Plug a negative ionizer into an outlet and close your bedroom door during the day. It will be like breathing in fresh clean air while you are sleeping.
- Stop Eating a Couple of Hours Prior to Go to Bed – Eating late (especially heavy, rich, fatty foods) effects your digestion. Every night your liver is working all night long digesting everything that you ate that day. When you eat late in the evening, your digestion system (liver) has to work harder to digest everything by morning. When you do not wake refreshed in the morning, besides not getting a good night’s sleep, you are tired because your digestion worked overtime while you were sleeping.
- Electronics – Have a set time to cut off all electronic devices in the evening. Do not look at electronic devices in the dark. Leave all electronic devises either in the other room or away from your bed. Electronic devices emit electromagnetic radiation (EMR’s) and the artificial lighting disrupts your sleep.
Benefits of Mouth Taping While You Sleep
Closing the mouth at night with mouth tape, allows you to only breathe through your nose, giving you a deeper and more restful sleep. When you breathe through your nose only, your body produces more nitric oxide, a super chemical produced in your body that opens all of your capillaries. Increased nitric oxide in your body helps decrease your heart rate, blood pressure and the amount of adrenaline in your body declines.
Getting a full night’s sleep with nose-breathing improves the oxygen level in your blood and reduces the amount of “brain fog” you may experience in the morning. Air taken in by mouth breathing, contains almost no nitric oxide, which means, deficient oxygenation of your tissues, resulting in lowering your vital activities; especially the activity of your brain.
Besides addressing snoring and sleep apnea, mouth taping (nose breathing) changes the pH of your mouth, which affects the bacteria in your mouth too. Prevents dry mouth where bacteria can grow, causing you to be more prone to dental decay, gingivitis, and periodontal disease.
Where Can I Get Mouth Tape?
There are various kinds of tape used for mouth taping. It can be found in stores and online.
- Surgical Tape
- Criss Cross Tape
- Completely Covers Lips /Mouth Tape – I use
- I hope it goes without saying: Do not use duct tape
If you are a mouth breather (day and or night) it may take some practice using the mouth tape. Try it during the day. I recommend before sleeping with the mouth tape, to tape your mouth for 30 – 60 minutes during the day, to make sure you are comfortable with breathing through you nose only.
Some of the Benefits of Grounding (Earthing)
Grounding your body allows the negatively charged antioxidant electrons from the earth to enter into your body and neutralize the positively charged free radicals in your body. Essentially, the earth restores and stabilizes the bioelectrical circuitry that governs how your body works, including your organs, reduces the free radicals and boosts your immune system.
In doing so, grounding reduces inflammation, pain, stress, pulls out electromagnetic radiation (EM’s or EMRs), gives you a better quality of sleep and improves your mood and energy. Grounding also improves cardiovascular disease (i.e., heart, blood pressure, hypercoagulability – thick and stickier blood) by thinning out the blood. If you are taking a blood thinner or any other medication(s) (i.e., thyroid, diabetes), consult with your doctor, you may need to have your medications adjusted.
Different Ways to Ground Yourself
- Outside – Walking barefoot, touch or laying on the ground
- Grounding Sheet (i.e., half sheet, mattress)
- Grounding Pad – Sitting on or touching (i.e., at computer, TV, reading)
Why is Your Sleep Important?
Your sleep is vital to your overall health and well-being. Sleep helps your body rest and repair the nervous system (parasympathetic nervous system is active while you are at sleep), giving your mind and body a chance to switch off and recuperate from the stresses of the day. This allows your body and mind to recharge, leaving you refreshed and alert when you wake up. A good night’s sleep can also help prevent excess weight gain, heart disease, and other diseases.