Does this sound like your hot flashes?
My client calls to tell me about her hot flashes, since her menstrual period has been skipping months for about a year now. She went on to tell me that her hot flashes have been more intense the last few months. She said, “When I get a hot flash, I go outside in the fresh air, which helps me cool down quickly, especially when there’s a breeze. Now that we have been having cooler weather, I still like the cool fresh air, but now that the temperature is colder, it is too cold to go outside. Some days, my hot flashes are so intense, I would open the window just to breathe in the fresh, cool air.” I asked her if she is temperature sensitive, meaning that when she goes from room to room in the house, can she tell when there’s even a slight change in temperature. Also, I asked if she takes the blankets off and on all through the night. “No”, she replied. I then went on to ask her how she feels currently emotionally. She said, “I have been coming to tears very easily, whether it is over something I saw on social media or even when someone tells me a sad story.” I selected the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla 200c, to be taken every night until she is not crying as easily and she is not having hot flashes.
If my client had told me, she was temperature sensitive throughout the day and especially at night, I would have selected the homeopathic remedy Mercurius Vivus (Solubilis).Both Mercurius Vivus and Pulsatilla have a very close symptom picture. They both want to be cooler when they are hot and warmer when they are cold. This may be taking off and on clothing layers or blankets, or turning up and down the thermostat constantly trying to acclimate to the environment. The main difference is, while Pulsatilla feels sad, lonely, abandoned and cries very easily, Pulsatilla also craves comfort foods, such as bread with lots of butter on it, mac and cheese, or a salad with a creamy dressing. My client called back several days later to tell me that she is feeling much better since taking the Pulsatilla 200c. She is not as emotional, and very rarely has the hot flashes. I told her if the hot flashes start to come back again more often, she will then need to take Pulsatilla 6c in a 4-ounce Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions (taps) daily to completely address her hormonal imbalance.
Are You in Menopause?
Menopause is a natural biological process that can happen in your 40’s or 50’s. The average age is 51 in the United States. Menopausal symptoms leading up to and after menopause (post-menopause) are: hot flashes, emotional symptoms which may disrupt your sleep, and low energy. You are in menopause when you have not had any menstruation at all for over 12 months.
4 Stages of Menopause
Pre-menopause, peri-menopause, menopause and post menopause are the 4 stages you cycle through, while moving from child bearing years to non-child bearing years (menopause).
Stage 1: Pre – Menopause
This is when your menstrual period starts to become irregular without menopausal symptoms (i.e., hot flashes or vaginal dryness). This stage usually occurs in your mid to late 40’s.
Stage 2: Peri – Menopause
When you are in peri-menopause, you can start to notice changes months or even years before you are in menopause. Your menstrual periods may skip a month and return, or skip several months and then you can start having periods again for a few months. Your menstrual periods can occur closer together, instead of your usual cycle. You may also start to have more peri-menopausal symptoms, such as heavy bleeding and hot flashes, though they usually don’t start until you are closer to or actually in menopause. You may also notice around peri- menopause, precursor symptoms such as an increase in your cholesterol levels, gall bladder symptoms, heart symptoms, and increased blood pressure, especially when you are not having a period each month. When menstrual periods are erratic, you could still become pregnant. You may want to take a pregnancy test when you miss a period at these times.
Irregular Menstrual Periods During Peri-Menopause
My client, age 50, calls to tell me she thinks she is having PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome) like symptoms. She continues on to tell me that she hasn’t had a menstrual period in 8 or 9 months. In the last couple of days, she noticed her breasts were a little tender and she has been irritable towards her family. She said that this was the longest she had ever gone without having a period. I asked her if she thought she would feel better if her period started. “Yes”, she replied, “this feels just like my old PMS symptoms. My breasts would be sore and I would be irritable and lash out at my husband and kids. Once my period would start, I would be back to my old self again.”
I had her take the homeopathic remedy Lachesis Muta 30c, as dry pellets for the next 3-4 days and to stop when her symptoms go away. I told her if the PMS like symptoms return to take Lachesis Muta again.
My client reported back that she felt much better after the 3rd dose of Lachesis Muta 30c. She said ”I never did get my period.” I explained to her if she had actually ovulated, she would have had a menstrual period. Lachesis Muta will bring on her period. If she did not have a period, Lachesis Muta will help balance out her hormones and continue to move her through the menopause process. I also explained to her that if she continues to have PMS symptoms, then we need to put her on Lachesis Muta 6c to be taken daily with 10 succussions (taps) to completely balance out her hormones and continue moving her through menopause.
Homeopathic Remedies for Irregular Menstrual Periods During Peri-Menopause
When you are in peri-menopause, your menstrual periods will, from time to time, become irregular. Your period will skip for 1 or more months. A skipped (delayed) menstrual period can come from your mental and emotional state and/or from other female issues going on in body, such as fibroids, endometriosis or adenomyosis. A homeopathic remedy can bring a menstrual period on if you are still having periods and not in menopause, by addressing the mental and emotional feelings, which will also balance out your hormones, especially if you have a female health condition going on. The homeopathic remedy is matched according to the symptoms you are experiencing. You will take the selected remedy in a 30c potency, once a day until your period comes on.
You want to continue keeping track of menstrual periods, especially when they become irregular. You may experience your period skipping 45, 60, 73 or more days, as you are moving closer to menopause.
- Natrum Muriaticum – Has irregular menstrual periods from emotionally feeling frustrated, dwells on thoughts throughout the day. Can withdrawal from others. Craves salty foods or dislikes salty foods.
- Pulsatilla – Delayed periods are from feeling abandoned, sad, lonely, and crying very easily.
- Lachesis Muta – Has PMS like symptoms when the period is delayed or skipped. You know that once your bleeding starts (period) your PMS-like symptoms will go away.
- Sepia – Since the period is skipping your mental state is going from happy to angry.
- Argentum Nitricum – You period is irregular, either coming too soon, too late or only lasts 1 day. You are feeling anxious with an overwhelming craving for chocolate and sweets. You may be experiencing panic attacks and fears of all kinds when your period is not regular.
Do You Have Heavy Bleeding Like My Client Does?
A client, age 46, calls me to tell me she’s been having heavy bleeding during her period. She went on to tell me that she is changing pads every hour, and sometimes on heavy days, every 30 minutes. I asked if she is just passing blood or does she have clots, too. She told me she has lots of blood in the beginning of her menstrual period, but by the 3rd day she is passing large clots. She stated that as soon as she starts to stand up, she could feel the fluttering of the clots moving down. I asked her if when she has the heavy bleeding in the beginning of her period, does she ever feel light headed or spacey, “Yes, “she replied, “I have become anemic since my menopausal symptoms have gotten worse the last 1 ½ – 2 years.” I selected 2 homeopathic remedies for my client for her bleeding. I told her to take 1 dose of the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 200c when she has the heavy bleeding and felt light headed or spacey. She will repeat the Phosphorus when her bleeding becomes heavy again, approximately every 1-4 hours. When she has bleeding with clots, she is to take 1 dose of the homeopathic remedy Sabina 30c. Her bleeding with clots will decrease. She will repeat the Sabina again when she starts to pass clots again. This can be 1-4 hours from her prior dose. If my client told me her menstrual period was ½ bleeding and ½ clots, I would have selected the homeopathic remedy Ustilago 30c for her bleeding.
I also selected Ferrum Phos 6x (a Hyland’s Cell Salt) for her anemia, and depending on the severity of the anemia, she would take 1-4 tablets 1-3 times a day. Along with Ferrum Phos, I had my client take the homeopathic remedy China Officinalis 30c to help replenish her low iron count. She took China Officinalis once daily for the heavy bleeding that causes an exhausted feeling and to help bring up her iron.
When working with a case like this, my client will also need a 6c homeopathic remedy to address why she is having heavy bleeding with clots. I have seen health conditions such as endometriosis, adenomyosis, and fibroids cause heavy bleeding and clots. Mental and emotional stress such as relationship issues (partners or family members), work, or financial stress can cause the hormones to go off balance creating health issues. In some cases, a 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy may be selected to address the physical symptoms acutely.
Are You Having Excessive Bleeding During Peri-Menopause?
You may be experiencing excessive bleeding during your menstrual period, which is called Menorrhagia. You may be going through pads or tampons every 1-3 hours from the excessive bleeding, and in some cases passing various sizes of clots. When you are passing a lot of clots, it means your endometrial lining is not completely sloughing off of your uterus during each menstrual period. This can come from skipping periods or another female health condition such as endometriosis, adenomyosis. A 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy is selected according to your heavy bleeding symptoms. You will take the homeopathic remedy every 30-60 minutes, until the intensity of your bleeding decrease. You will repeat the remedy when the bleeding increases until you are no longer experiencing the heavy bleeding.
- Phosphorus – Is when you are having bright red blood gushing out, especially when you stand up and feel light headed with a spacey feeling.
- Sabina – Bleeding bright red blood with clots that is worse with the slightest movement.
- Trillium – Has gushing of blood that is worse from the slightest movement. Your hips and back feel like they are falling to pieces with the heavy bleeding.
- Ustilago –Bright red bleeding that is ½ liquid and ½ clots.
- Secale –Has dark red blood that continuously oozes watery blood until the next menstrual period.
Health Conditions During Peri-Menopause
It is common for middle-aged women to have female health conditions while going from peri-menopause to menopause, such as endometriosis, adenomyosis, and fibroids that can cause pain and heavier bleeding during or between menstrual periods.
- Dysmenorrhea – Pain with your menstruation period, can be from endometriosis and fibroids.
- Endometriosis – Thickening of the endometrial lining that did not slough off with the menstrual period.
- Adenomyosis – Endometrial tissue grows into the muscular outer wall of the uterus.
- Fibroids – Are benign growths (tumors) that develop in or on the uterus.
- Metrorrhagia – Bleeding between menstrual periods usually from fibroids, endometriosis, or adenomyosis.
For more in depth information on how Homeopathy can help these kinds of female health conditions, please visit https://viranginicindy.com/homeopathy-for-endometriosis-and-fibroids/
What is a Protracted Period?
A protracted menstrual period is when your period (bleeding) lasts for 1 or more days beyond your normal, healthy menstrual cycle. Phosphorus and Sepia are the 2 homeopathic remedies I very often select for clients to help stop their period. You want to select the homeopathic remedy that fits the number of days you have been bleeding each night, until your bleeding starts to show signs of stopping. Take the selected 30cor 200c homeopathic remedy every night until the bleeding stops.
Protracted (Prolonged) Menstrual Period
My client calls to tell me about her menstrual bleeding, now on day 8 of her period. She told me last month her period lasted 10 days and she did not want to this period to go as long or longer, since she has been having a little more bleeding during her periods. I selected the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 200c, for her to take every night until her bleeding stops. I told her if her bleeding starts again to repeat the Phosphorus again every night until her bleeding does stop. I explained that in most cases, she will probably only need 1 or 2 doses of Phosphorus to help stop her menstrual period.
I have seen women have a menstrual period last 14-21 days and that was their last menstrual period they will ever have and they are now moving into menopause. If you are having your last period and you are bleeding for 14-21 days a homeopathic remedy will not stop the bleeding.
- Phosphorus – Is the 1st homeopathic remedy to think of when your period is longer than 7 days of bleeding.
- Sepia – Select when your bleeding is 5 – 10 days beyond your menstrual period, especially when you are getting close to menopause.
Nose Bleed Instead of Menses
You may be experiencing a nose bleed at the time you are to have your menstrual period, or frequent bleeding from your nose at the start of your period. This is called a vicarious epistaxis, in place of your period.
- Bryonia Alba – Is the most common homeopathic remedy needed for a nose bleed when you should be having a menstrual period.
- Lachesis Muta – You are having PMS symptoms and know you will feel better when your period starts. Instead, you have a nose bleed in place of your menstrual period.
- Pulsatilla – When you need Pulsatilla for a nose bleed instead of period, you will be feeling sad, lonely, and abandoned.
You can have hot flashes when your menstrual period becomes irregular all the way up to and after you are in menopause (post). Sometimes hot flashes don’t start until you are in menopause (post). Hot flash symptoms can vary from one female to another.
Hot Flash Symptoms You May Experience:
- Warmth in the face and or in your upper body which can spread from your waist or chest towards the neck, face or upper arms
- Sweating and chills
- Feeling anxious (tense) just before you have a hot flash
- Tingling fingers
- Heart palpitations
- Hot flashes during the day and or waking up at night sweaty and needing to change your bed sheets and or nightclothes.
Foods Known to Trigger Hot Flashes:
- Spicy foods
- Smoking (cut down or quit)
Homeopathic Remedies for Hot Flashes
There are many homeopathic remedies for hot flashes. Listed below are the most common homeopathic remedies I often select for clients. You will select a 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy according to what you are experiencing for hot flashes. Take the selected remedy 1- 3 times a day when hot flashes increase in intensity again.
- Aconite Napellus – You will feel anxious prior to having a hot flash.
- Lachesis Muta – Flushes of heat with perspiration, especially when you haven’t had a period. Hot flashes decrease when you have a menstrual period.
- Mercurius Vivus (Solubilis) – Hot flashes worse from the slightest temperature change, you are taking blankets and clothing off and on. You are constantly trying to acclimate with the environment. Sweating while sleeping.
- Pulsatilla – Hot flashes worse in stuffy rooms, and feels better with fresh outside air. Turns thermostat up and down. Has changeable moods where you are going from happy to sad, cries easily, and feels abandoned. Craves comfort foods.
- Sepia – Anxiety and the least amount of motion causes the hot flashes. The heat ascends up the body or you feel as if hot water was poured over you. A history of using the birth control pill. Emotionally goes from feeling happy to being angry.
- Sulphur – Hot flashes where your face turns red and the bottoms of your feet burn. Hot flashes are worse in a warm bed, sweating without relief. You feel better with cold food, drinks and cold baths.
Stage 3: Menopause
Menopause occurs when you stop producing the hormones that cause you to have a menstrual period. You are in menopause when you have not had any menstrual period for 12 months. That means no bleeding of any kind vaginally for a year. I tell my clients when they can go 2 years with no period they are in menopause and finished with the childbearing years. If you spot blood 1 time, you need to count it as a menstrual period and start counting over again for another 2 years. Menopause naturally occurs between ages 48-52 in females eating a meat inclusive diet, and ages 46-50 when eating a strictly vegan diet. Menopause could start in the late 30’s or mid-50’s. Smokers tend to have an earlier menopause.
Stage 3A: Induced Menopause
Induced menopause is when you had a hysterectomy, which can occur at any time in a female’s life, done for hormonal imbalances, endometriosis, adenomyosis, or fibroids, all of which can disrupt the hormones.
Some women have irregular menstrual periods and other women’s periods just stop with no symptoms. Whether you transitioned into menopause naturally or had an induced menopause, you will use the same homeopathic remedies discussed for peri-menopause.
Other Symptoms You Can Have During Menopause:
- Sleep problems
- Mood changes
- Decreased sex drive
- Racing heart (palpitations)
- Thinning of hair and dry skin
- Vaginal dryness and soreness
- Weight gain and slowed metabolism
- Decreased sex drive
Homeopathic Remedy for Sleeping Problems
You may be having problems getting to sleep or staying asleep while going through menopause. You want to select a homeopathic remedy according to what is causing your sleep problems. You will take the selected homeopathic remedy in a 30c or 200c potency every night until you are able your sleep on your own.
- Natrum Muriaticum – Your mind is clicking away, thinking (dwelling) on past events which is causing you not to be able to fall asleep or you can’t get back to sleep.
- Coffea Cruda – You can’t fall asleep because your nervous system is hyped up like you drank a cup of coffee and you can’t wind down.
- Kali Carbonicum – You wake up during the middle of the night and you cannot get back to sleep because you are worrying about all you have to do tomorrow, and you are counting the hours you have left to sleep before you have to get up for the day.
Weight Gain Can Happen Around Menopause
It is common for most females going through menopause to gain 20-30+ lbs., when there was no change in their diet or exercise; this is hormonal weight gain. There are 2 reasons why you gain weight around menopause, liver or kidney (hormonal).
- Liver weight gain – When you are able to correct your diet, decrease calories, exercise and lose weight.
- Hormonal weight gain – Is a hormonal condition relating to your kidneys. This is when you change your diet and are still not able to lose weight. When your weight gain is hormonal, you need to take a homeopathic remedy to address the hormonal imbalance to help you slim down.
Homeopathic Remedies for Hormonal Weight Gain
There are several homeopathic remedies for hormonal weight gain. The 2 homeopathic remedies I commonly see for hormonal weight gain is Calcarea Carbonica and Sepia. You will take selected homeopathic remedy in a 6c potency every day.
- Calcarea Carbonica –You have slight weight gain to obesity with menopausal symptoms. You feel worn out, especially from multiple pregnancies, raising family, and working. Feeling over responsible, over worked, overwhelmed and gaining weight.
- Sepia – Hormonal weight gain with emotional states that go from happy to angry, argumentative and irritable. You have a history of using the birth control pill, and may have a decreased sex drive.
How to Determine if You Are Going Through Menopause
As you are approaching menopause, you can take a test to determine what stage of menopause you are in. There is a blood testfor FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone) levels. When you are moving into menopause, your FSH levels dramatically rise when the ovaries begin to shut down. An FSH number above 200 means you are very close to menopause.
Stage 4: Post – Menopausal
Once you have passed the menopause stage, you are considered to be in post menopause for the rest of your life. Post menopause is the last 1/3 of your life, menstrual free to the age of 100 years. Some females continue experiencing menopausal symptoms for 10 years or longer after menopause, such as hot flashes.
Other Health Conditions You May Have in Post Menopause
When in post menopause, you are at an increased risk for certain health conditions.
- Vaginal changes and dryness, Lichen
- Skin changes and dryness, thinning
- Loss of breast fullness
- Osteoporosis (bone thinning)
- Heart disease
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased cholesterol levels
Going from your child-bearing years to menopause is a process that every female will go through. Sometimes the road can be bumpy along the way, and for others it’s an easier road traveled. Whichever road you travel through menopause, we all end up to at the same destination, post menopause. If you are traveling along a bumpy road, take a homeopathic remedy to help smooth out the bumps as you transition into menopause.
If you need assistance or have questions on how Homeopathy can help you, click on the link below to schedule a Free 20-minute Discovery Call to share with me your health concerns and I will explain my approach in helping with homeopathy.
Free Discovery Call 20-minute Appointment Linkhttps://app.squarespacescheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=22110188&appointmentType=20600751