There are many Homeopathic books written for beginners and advanced reading. Homeopathic books are written on the two main schools of thought on Homeopathy: Samuel Hahnemann and James Tyler Kent. Then there are other books written on various methods of how to administer a Homeopathic remedy. Reading a few books on Homeopathic philosophy is a great way to develop a better understanding of how and why Homeopathic remedies work to stimulate the immune system, to bring about healing of the body. A few books I recommend for reading up on philosophy for someone new to Homeopathy are:
- Discovering Homeopathy: Medicine for the 21st Century, Dana Ullman, MPH. A great book on philosophy and also lists Homeopathic remedies for everyday needs in paragraph form.
- Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy, Amy L Lansky, PhD. This book written from a mother’s experience on using Homeopathy for her son also includes the history, philosophy and science of Homeopathy.
- The Family Guide to Homeopathy, Alain Horvilleur MD. Great book with information on philosophy, history and for Homeopathic remedy selection for specific illnesses.
- Homeopathic Love Story, Rima Handley. This is a story about Samuel Hahnemann’s life and how he used Homeopathy.
For advance reading on the philosophy of Homeopathy:
- Organon Philosophy Workbooks, Robin Murphy ND. Great book on explaining Hahnemann’s philosophy of the Organon 6th edition; including how and why to give a Homeopathic remedy.
- Organon of the Medical Art by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann (6th edition), Wenda Brewster O’Reilly, PhD. The author has translated Hahnemann’s Organon 6th edition for easier reading.
Self-help books are great resources to use for selecting a Homeopathic remedy for you, a family member or for your pet’s common acute symptoms (i.e. diarrhea, sinus infection, PMS, etc.). The best way to utilize self-help books is to look up the Homeopathic remedies used for specific acute symptoms or illness (e.g., sinus infection). In most cases you and your family will always use the same Homeopathic remedy for the same acute illness. To have easy access to a list of Homeopathic remedies for whenever you or a family member has acute symptoms I recommend compiling your own Personal Reference. It is best to list the Homeopathic remedies used for the specific acute’s symptoms in a 3 ring binder or on the computer, for example: under “S” for Sinus infection, list all the remedies along with the differences between the each of them. You will then be able to select the remedy that yields the best results.
A list of recommended self-help books:
- Homeopathic Medicine, A Doctor’s Guide to Common Ailments, Trevor Smith, MD. This book lists the symptoms for the Homeopathic remedies for acute symptoms as one liners. Easy book to use. Highly recommend getting this book.
- Everybody’s Guide to Homeopathic Medicine, Stephen Cummings, FNP and Dana Ullman, MPH. Homeopathic remedies for everyday symptoms in paragraph form. Also has some Homeopathic philosophy.
- Discovering Homeopathy: Medicine for the 21st Century, Dana Ullman, MPH
- The Family Guide to Homeopathy, Alain Horvilleur MD
List of books for advanced self-help and consulting:
- Homeopathic Medical Repertory, Robin Murphy, ND. This book lists all the Homeopathic remedies for a specific symptom.
- Homeopathic Remedy Guide (Materia Medica), Robin Murphy, ND. The book gives several pages of information of each Homeopathic remedy.
These Homeopathic books and many others can be purchased online or from your local health store. Your local Library may also carry some Homeopathic books.