Have you or the man in your life been complaining about having to urinate frequently,
especially during the night?
Most likely, no one is running to a doctor see what is going on. This may be a sign of an enlarged prostate. Did you know that there are Homeopathic Remedies for an enlarged prostate?
Does This Sound Familiar?
A 77-year-old male called to tell me about having frequent urination. He was diagnosed as having a slightly enlarged prostate. My client stated that he cannot hold his urine, urine is dribbling in his underwear, and sometimes when he urinates there is a burning sensation in his urethra. I asked him if he has ever noticed hemorrhoids coming down when he urinates and he said he had and “I thought I was imagining it”. I recommended he take the homeopathic remedy Baryta Carbonica 30c in a Remedy Solution Bottle (RSB) with 10 succussions at bedtime.
My client reported back several days later stating that he is not dribbling in his underwear, and most times he is able to hold his urine until he gets into the bathroom. The burning sensation is also occurring less frequently. I explained that he will continue to have improvements with Baryta Carbonica, such as urination will go back to a more normal frequency of approximately 5-10 times a day, and he will be waking up less often at night to urinate. He will continue taking Baryta Carbonica as he has been, with 10 succussions at bedtime. If the symptoms worsen again, increase the succussions to 12 (by increments of 2) and take at bedtime.
He asked me “When do I have my prostate checked again by a doctor?” I suggested to have his prostate checked when he is urinating more normally. Six months later, my client called to say he had his prostate checked and the doctor said his prostate is only ever so slightly enlarged, and for a 77-year-old male that is great.
What is an Enlarged Prostate?
The prostate is a small rubbery gland, about the size of a ping-pong ball, located deep inside the groin, between the base of the penis and the rectum. It plays an important role in reproduction, because it supplies part of the seminal fluid (semen), which mixes with sperm from the testes. Seminal fluid helps the sperm to travel and survive.An enlarged prostate is called Benign Prostatic Enlargement (BPE) or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). The prostate increases in size because there is an increase number of cells called hyperplasia. An enlarged prostate commonly occurs with age, typically in men over age 40. More than 90% of men over age 80 have the condition. An enlarged prostate isn’t caused by cancer.
Symptoms of Enlarged Prostate
Many men over the age of 40 have an enlarged prostate, but they don’t have all of the symptoms (i.e., frequent urination or dribbles at the end of urination). Some men have symptoms that don’t bother them too much, such as a weak urine stream or waking at night to urinate. As the prostate get larger, it starts to pinch the urethra. This causes the symptoms that affect the urine flow with uncomfortable symptoms, such as:
- Dribbling at the end of urination
- Incontinence (leakage of urine)
- Waking 2 or more times each night to urinate
- Frequent or sudden urgent need to urinate
- Weak urine stream or a stream that stops and starts
- Difficulty in starting to urinate
- Unable to fully empty bladder
- A slowed or delayed urinary stream
- Flow of urine blocked
- Bladder, urinary tract or kidney problems (UTIs)
- Inability to urinate
- Urine that has an unusual color or smell
- Blood in the urine (may also indicate infection)
- Pain with urination or after ejaculation
Causes of Enlarged Prostate
The following may cause a prostate gland to enlarge
- Hormonal changes as a man gets older
- Relationship problems with significant other
Possible Enlarged Prostate Complications
Men who have had enlarged prostate for long time with slowly worsening symptoms may also develop:
- Sudden inability to urinate
- Kidney or bladder stones
- Urinary tract infections (UTI’s)
- Damage to the kidneys or bladder
- Chronic or long-lasting urinary retention
Sabal Serrulata 30c Helps Enlarged Prostate
My 65-year-old client called to discuss the possibility of an enlarged prostate. He told me he is feeling a dull ache since his urinary stream has decreased. It takes him longer to empty his bladder, and he wakes up several times a night to urinate. My client stated that he has a sudden urgency to urinate with great intensity and experiences irritation when he urinates. He says he suspects that he has an enlarged prostate because he was diagnosed 30-years ago with having an enlarged prostate while he was going through a divorce.
I had my client take the homeopathic remedy Sabal Serrulata 30c in a Remedy Solution Bottle with no succussions. I told him if he didn’t see any improvement with the urination within 7 days to start taking Sabal with 2 succussions at bedtime. My client called 3 weeks later stating that he had to increase Sabal 30c to 2 succussions as the 0 succussions didn’t help relieve any urinary symptoms. He asked if he could increase the succussions again. I told him that when his symptoms start to return, increase the succussions by increments of 2 and continue to take Sabal at bedtime.
Pressure in Bladder Before Urination
If my client had said he felt pressure in the bladder before he urinates and doesn’t feel like he is completely emptying out his bladder, I would have also suggested the homeopathic remedy Apis Mellifica 200c, 3 times a day with 10 succussions. Apis will help shrink the bladder down which has become distended from the enlarged prostate causing pressure in the bladder. Two months later, my client checked-in stating he is taking Sabal 30c with 10 succussions at bedtime and he was doing very well with the urine flow, urgency, and pressure in his bladder. Since succussing Sabal 30c, he wakes only 1-2 times nightly to urinate. I told him to continue taking Sabal with 10 succussions, and to increase the succussions by increments of 2 when his symptoms start to worsen.
A month later, he called stating that the Sabal has dramatically reduced his urination symptoms, his flow is much stronger, and he rarely needs to wake up at night to urinate. But, the urinary symptoms would completely go away and every few days a symptom will become slightly worse and then go away. I asked him how has he been feeling emotionally the last couple of weeks. He stated that he has been feeling sad, lonely and left out. He went on to tell me this is an old feeling he has had since childhood, and had resurfaced when he was going through his divorce 30-years ago. I selected the Homeopathic Remedy Pulsatilla 6c, to take every night with 10 succussions, and also had him continue taking Sabal 30c with 10 succussions.
Why take Pulsatilla for Enlarged Prostate?
I selected Pulsatilla for a couple of reasons. Beside him feeling sad, lonely and left out, Pulsatilla has what’s called “changeable symptoms”, which means a set of symptoms come and go or moves around the body. In this case, the urinary symptoms would intensify and then decrease. The other reason I selected Pulsatilla is based on how my client felt while going through his divorce, when the enlarged prostate started, addressing the etiology of “never well since”. I also put my client on the herbal tincture Saw Palmetto to support the prostate.
My client called a week later, stating that he is starting to feel less sad and lonely since taking the Pulsatilla. I told him to continue taking the Pulsatilla, Sabal and Saw Palmetto tincture daily.
Two months later, my client called stating he very rarely has any of urinary symptoms and if he does, the symptoms are ever so slight. He also stated that he is feeling much better emotionally, very rarely feeling sad and lonely. I told him to continue with Pulsatilla, Sabal and Saw Palmetto tincture for another month , and if he is not experiencing the urinary symptoms to stop taking the Sabal 30c and continue taking Pulsatilla 6c and Saw Palmetto tincture for another month or 2. If he continues to be urinary symptom -free a month later, to stop the Pulsatilla and continue taking the Saw Palmetto tincture for another month or 2. He will then stop the Saw Palmetto tincture as long as his urinary symptoms did not return for a month or so.
Relationship Problems Causing Enlarged Prostate
I often see client cases develop an enlarged prostate from a relationship problem with a significant other. In a case like this, the enlarged prostate symptoms will not improve until a homeopathic remedy addresses how the man is feeling about the relationship stress. Each case is taken individually, and the healing process is different for everyone. Some cases will see a quicker response than others.
Common Homeopathic Remedies for Enlarge Prostate:
- Baryta Carbonica –Prostate enlarged especially in older men with burning in urethra when urinating. Urge to urinate and cannot retain urine. Straining after urination, with dribbling at the end of urination. Frequent urination, especially at night. Hemorrhoids come down when urinating.
- Calcarea Carbonica – Feeling overwhelmed, stressed-out taking care of everyone, especially with significant other, can cause an enlarged prostate.
- Chimaphila Umbellata – Irritation of prostate enlargement that is better from walking. Must strain before flow starts.
- Pulsatilla – Feeling sad, lonely, left out (abandonment), has relationship problems. Pain, especially when lying prone. Feeling the need to pass stool even though bowels are already empty (tenesmus) while urinating, especially when lying prone.
- Sabal Serrulata – Weakness and urinary difficulties with prostate enlargement. Unable to completely empty the bladder. Sabal helps with retention of urine due to an enlarged prostate. The bladder feels very full and heavy, along with achy pain which extends to the external genitals and down the thighs. Painful starting of the flow that feels as if it was forced through very narrow passage causing difficulty with urination along with a smarting, burning in the urethra. Prostatic fluid discharged during urination and when straining to have bowel movement. Dribble of urine from prostatic enlargement.
- Thuja – Prostatic enlargement and weakness. Urination feels sudden and urgent and can’t be controlled with frequent urination. Dribbling of urine that may burn. Urinary stream forked and weak. Frequent urge to urinate, especially at night.
- Apis Mellifica – Bladder distended. Not able to completely empty bladder.
Homeopathic Steps in Addressing Your Enlarged Prostate
A complete case history needs to be taken to address your enlarged prostate. While taking your case history, I will also ask you what your symptoms are.
- A Chronic Fundamental Homeopathic Remedy will be selected to address who you are and how you developed an enlarged prostate.
- In taking your case history, you will be giving me a complete health history giving a snapshot of how your general health is from birth to the present time.
- However, the main focus would be on what was going on in your life before you developed the enlarged prostate—looking back at the last 6-12 months of your life for stressors (i.e., relationship, work-related, financial, caring for a loved one, grief, depression) and in some cases further back as to what happened in your life that could have triggered you to have an enlarged prostate.
- I will also take into consideration other physical symptoms of your enlarged prostate. You will be asked general health questions about your digestion, sleep, mental, and emotional state.
- Acute Symptoms – We will select a Homeopathic Remedy for any acute symptoms you are having with your enlarged prostate (i.e., dribbling, bladder pressure, waking at night to urinate).
- The homeopathic remedy will be selected according to the acute symptoms and what makes the symptoms better or worse.
How the Homeopathic Remedy is Administered and Results for Enlarged Prostate
A 6c Chronic Fundamental Homeopathic Remedy will be taken daily with 10 succussions for a period of time.
- Three “Signs of Health” must take place within 5-7 days after taking a homeopathic 6c remedy.
- Increased or Balanced Energy – Usually children’s energy needs to be balanced and adults needs increased energy.
- Well-Being Feeling – A mental and emotional shift (i.e., day seems easier in some way).
- Sleep Cycles Improve – Falls asleep easier and stays asleep and or wakes up refreshed and ready to go.
- The chief enlarged prostate symptoms that the homeopathic 6c remedy was selected for start to improve.
- A 30c or 200c homeopathic remedy selected for the acute symptoms (i.e., bladder pressure, ,. frequent urination, dribbling, etc.) will be taken one to several times a day.
- The acute symptoms will be starting to improve within 24-48 hours
Herbal Tincture for Enlarged Prostate
The herbal tincture Saw Palmetto is known to help shrink an enlarged prostate and helps other prostatic symptoms, especially when taken with a homeopathic remedy for the enlarged prostate. To Administer: Add 5 drops of Saw Palmetto tincture to one cup of warm water and take 1 to 3 times a day.
Risk of Developing Enlarged Prostate
- Risk of having an enlarged prostate – Increases as you get older
- Family history – You’re more likely to have enlarged prostate if a blood relative, such as a father or a brother who has prostate issues
- Diabetes and heart disease – Your risk of enlarged prostate increases if you have diabetes or heart disease or if you are taking beta blockers
- Lifestyle – Obesity is known to increase the risk of an enlarged prostate
- Over-the-counter cold and sinus medicines – Decongestants or antihistamines can increase enlarged prostate symptoms.
During your lifetime as a man, you will most likely experience some prostate issues after the age of 40. Homeopathy can help with all of them, alleviating and often times even totally clearing some of the issues.